Including filname in the path displayed

Sorry to keep bothering you - but I have another question.

In my Opus 10, the path noted for a selected file always included the file name. In Opus 11, the path stops at the folder.

I assume that somewhere there is a window where I can check "filename", and have that also displayed. But my search to find that option has not been fruitful.

I went to page 791 in the manual, but was unable to get the answer I needed.

What is the path to do this?

Thanks

Could you clarify what you mean? e.g. Where is the path being noted? How do you make it appear?

When I have the focus on a file in a lister, and I have a selected the "Pathbar" in my display, I used to see the path plus the filename. This made it convenient when I wanted to use that info somewhere.

The Pathbar is currently showing the path, without the filename. How do I get back to what I had in Opus 10, where there was a display of the path with the filename. .

Is this something different from the pathbar? If so, I cannot locate it.

On page 791 in the manual. there is something related to "filename", but how do I use this to get the display to show the path with the filename?

There is a Full Path column you can add to the file display.

Or you can copy the full path to the clipboard, or make something which shows it in a pop-up tooltip or dialog box.

The path field that sits on top of the file display (by default) and is used to navigate to other folders has never shown the selected filename. It has always only showed the current folder path.

In Opus 10, I did have a display field which showed me the full path with the filename in a field above the main lister. I still have Opus 10 on one of my systems, and I will check that machine later today to see if I can resolve this.

And on my main machine I've had such a field displaying the full path and filename for many years, back to when I first used Opus

I do not want a column with that display.

I would also seem that the bottom half of page 791 in the users manual has a reference to "filename" there. I thought this might be related to what I am looking for. But I do not see how to use this.

A screenshot of the Opus 10 setup might make us see what you're aiming for. Maybe I have misunderstood, since what I think you're describing has never been possible. Unless we are talking about the difference between the path field showing a virtual path like "Desktop" and the physical path like "C:\Users\Ron\Desktop".

Page 791 in the PDF current manual is about scripting objects. It did not exist in Opus 10 and is not related to what you can show in the path field.

Hi Leo,

I guess I must have remembered incorrectly, and that it was another of the many programs I have on my computer that offer that feature.

Since I write a lot of scripts which involve filenames with their paths, it's nice to have the complete name and path which I can quickly copy and paste into the scripts.

Maybe that option could be included in a future release/update of Opus. With all the features and options available, it would not seem to require much effort to do that.

Thanks again

Ron Hirsch

You can create a new context menu item "Copy Path" for the "all files and folders" filetype and use this command: Clipboard COPYNAMES
It copies the path of selected items into the clipboard. I also have a hotkey "CTRL+J" that runs the same command. For an unknown reason I keep remembering that shortcut from the "Norton Commander" era. o)

If you just want to copy the full path to the clipboard, there are menu items to do that, as part of the default configuration.

You can find them in the Edit menu, and they are also discussed here: Commands to copy selected filenames to the clipboard.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the reply - I'll review that material in the link you gave me.

Ron

Hi Leo,

I read over the material in that you gave me the link to. That link was from 2005, and the text/instructions presented for that Opus version are obviously not quite the same as for Opus 11.

THESE WERE THE INSTRUCTIONS

1. In Opus, click Settings -> Filetypes...

2. Double-click All Files & Folders, near the top of the list.

3. Select the Context Menu tab (does not exist now)

4. Click New

5. Enter the following information for the new filetype action:

But I did manage to reach the final window, where the window for this appeared with the following instructions to enter into the 3 fields

Action: Copy Names
Type: Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer)
Function: Clipboard COPYNAMES

When I reached the window for Action, Type, and Function, Action and Type were dropdown choices. But there was no "Clipboard COPYNAMES" choice in the 3rd field. So I finally just hopefully typed that in in the that text box below Typing was not allowed in that field, and that now appeared to work.

When I right click on a file, and select the bottom choice which is "Copy Names, that does copy the full path and filename to the clipboard.

I assume there is no way to put that command onto onto a toolbar button. But having it present now will certainly do the trick.

Thanks again

Ron

Leo,

I overlooked the CTRL+SHFT+C which now also does the same thing a right-clicking and clicking COPY NAME

Ron

The page was first posted in 2005 but has been updated since then and should be current.

Yes, that hotkey comes from the items in the default Edit menu which I mentioned, and which are shown at the top of the guide. You can see the hotkey on the right of the menu.