Incorrect indication of subfolders (plus sign)

Version: Opus 10.0x
Platform: WIndows Vista 64-bit

In folders pane, Opus regularly indicates the presence of inexistent subfolders while I'm opening the tree. It shows the plus sign to folders without any subfolder and I have to click over them to verify if there is or not a subfolder there.

I was trying to identify a pattern or a possible cause to this, but the problem occurs rather randomly in any folder or disc, no matter the name, the contents or the folder order. Sometimes it occur several times, showing plus signs in many folders. Sometimes Opus browser most of the tree without errors. The only repeated scenario I see is the problem to occur in folders with multiple subfolders (4+).

Image 1 shows a folder tree with two plus signs. Actually, both are incorrect as there are no subfolders there.

Image 2 shows the result when I click a plus sing: it is removed, but the other is keeped.

Image 3 finally shows the real tree, with the second plus sign removed after I tried to click on it.

The problem, although small, is annoying as it frequently draws incorrect folder trees and cause doubts about the subfolders presence. This error occurs just in Opus 10.0x (I updated from 9.x last December).

Is anyone else reading seeing this or similar, so we can try to establish a pattern & reproduce it on our machines?

What kind of drive is it happening on? Normal local folder, network drive, Library, etc.? If it's a network drive, what kind?

Are the folders / contents of the folders changing when it happens?

Does it ever happen when you first open the branch in the tree, or only afterwards (e.g. in reaction to some changes in/below the folders)?

Does it only happen with folders that have accented characters in their paths, or anything like that? (We can't see the full path so I don't know if that might be a factor.)

1. What kind of drive is it happening on?
Local disks. It happened with ordinary SATA, hybrid SATA+SSD and SSD disks.
I do not remember if this occurred with pen drives. Tried now without error, but with a fairly small folder structure.
It happens with any kind of files (DOCs, PDFs, images, music etc.).

2. Are the folders / contents of the folders changing when it happens?
No. It appears when I am just opening folders and files.

3. Does it ever happen when you first open the branch in the tree, or only afterwards?
Not sure if I fully understood, but it happens when I first open the branch and, if I do not click over plus sing, it will keep happening if I browse in other folders and then come back. It seems that, while I do not "force" Opus to actually "read" the folder by click on plus sign, it remain indicating the mistaken subfolder existence.

4. Does it only happen with folders that have accented characters in their paths, or anything like that?
No, it happens even with plain paths. A sample (path E:/Atuais/Adriana Calcanhotto).

5. A pattern
At least, I identified a pattern for the error: it only happens in last-level folders. So, in a structure where dozens of folders have just files and a single one has subfolders, no error will happen.

Yes, I see this too on my local drives. My answers would be pretty much excactly what Igor said, though I'm not too sure if it keeps showing the + sign after a refresh. I know I can 'remove' the + by clicking on it. Sorry, no additional information other than this.

Does it always happen with the same folders or is it random? E.g. in the screenshot in the original post, does it always happen with the two sub-folders shown?

What are the contents of these folders? Can you post a screenshot?

Also, what are your folder tree options and appearance settings in Preferences?

Is your system running particularly slowly (e.g. high CPU usage) when this occurs?

I'd had a similar issue, reported it, and seen it fixed sometime back... I just searched around through my bug reports though and can't find it though :imp:

It appears not to be any solution by now. Note that folder contents are mostly small. Just minutes ago the + sing appeared incorrectly besides a folder with just 26 files and a total of 5,34MB.

[quote="IgorFreiberger"]4. Does it only happen with folders that have accented characters in their paths, or anything like that?
No, it happens even with plain paths. A sample (path E:/Atuais/Adriana Calcanhotto).[/quote]

Looking at that screenshot again, isn't the problem with the 1990 - EnguiƧo folder that is below Adriana Calcanhotto, not with the Adriana Calcanhotto folder itself?

The + sigh there is on a folder with an accented character.

Are those - characters minus signs or something else like an em-dash? It looks wider than a minus sign but that might just be the font.

Could you copy & paste some of those folder names into Notepad and save it as a Unicode text file, then attach it in a zip, so I can experiment with folders of the same names?

The Windows folder-change notification system has some issues with Unicode characters, so what you are seeing may be one of them, and we have some debugging functionality in Opus that can help track that down. But it's only worth investigating if the problem only occurs with non-ASCII characters.

PS: You didn't answer Jon's questions from 1st March, above.