Infotips for mp3 files (hover)

In some older version of dopus I have used, when I hover the mouse over an mp3 file it would show all or most of the mp3 id tags. In the version I'm using now (12.25) hovering over an mp3 file merely shows an icon which shows the file bit rate. I would rather see the id tags. How to I enable that? (I have already checked the box that says "Enable file InfoTips in all display modes")

Under Settings > File Types, and then in the File Type Groups section double-click Music. What is the Info Tip tab set to? If it's blank or fairly empty, use the Samples button/menu near the bottom to reset it.

It's also possible that you've defined something in the Info Tip for the MP3 file type itself, which would override the Music group for MP3 files. If so, find that in the main part of the file types list and remove the Info Tip from it entirely.

Thanks for the reply. The infotips field under the mp3 file type is blank. When I go to the music group, if I enter something like {size} or {thumbnail} or {modifieddate} or combinations of things like that, then when I hover over an mp3 file I do get the info tips that I selected. However if I enter anything relating to the mp3 tags, such as {mp3year} or {mp3track} or even {duration}, then those fields are completely ignored. Something strange seems to be going on. I know these tags exist because when I right click on the file and select "properties" and "MP3-info" I do see all the relevant tags.

The Music info tip should look like this:

If yours looks the same but you don't see most of the information, are you sure the files you're trying with a really MP3 and not something else (maybe with the wrong file extension)? Or could there be something unusual about the way the files were created or tagged which means they aren't recognised?

Do the similar columns in the file display work for the same files?

Thanks Leo for your reply. Yes these really are mp3 files. I think I should know as I have about 300,000 mp3 files on my computer. I have edited the Info Tip entry slightly to prove to myself that this is the Info Tip panel that is actually in use. As you can see from the picture below, when I hover over the file "02 Allemande.mp3" the tips that appear match what I have entered in the Info Tip panel ... except that none of the mp3 tags are shown. I know that the file contains these tags, and I have proved it by showing the MP3-info tab that appears when I right click on the file and select "properties". It appears that dopus has mysteriously lost the ability to see or display mp3 tags. I tried hovering over a wma file and the results are similar. It shows the filename, filesize, and thumbnail in the hover image, but nothing else. I tried adding a columns to the lister window for "Album" and "Year". The columns headings appeared as I expected but the contents of the column was all blank confirming that dopus has lost the ability to see mp3 tags. I have upgraded from an older version of dopus, so is it possible my configuration is corrupted?

oops, I forgot to upload the image ... so here it is:

Please post an example mp3 somewhere. (A few seconds of silence would be best, as it's only the tags we are interested in.)

Ok ... I picked a very small mp3 file (named "31 Goodnight.mp3") out of my massive collection of 300,000 mp3 files at included it here:
31 Goodnight.zip (50.1 KB)
Also here is a picture of what the hover image looks like when I hover the mouse over this file:

As before, you can see that the general information (filename, filesize, and thumbnail) appear in the hover image, but none of the mp3 id tags appear. The info tips for the music group is the same as I have shown in my previous message.

I'm somewhat mystified how sending you one mp3 file will help since I have hovered over many hundreds of mp3 files from various sources and almost all of them have mp3 tags and none of them appear in the hover image. Also, as you can see from the attached picture (as well as the picture in my previous message), the file properties dialog box shows that the mp3 tags are there, so why would you doubt that they are. It seems far more likely that for some reason dopus is not displaying them.

This is just the normal problem solving process. We don't doubt that the files are tagged at all. But one possibility is that they were all tagged with something that Opus doesn't support. Having a sample file will let us test that.

The file you sent does show tags for me in the tooltip, so we now know that the files aren't the issue. The next step is to work out what else could be causing it.

Is H: a normal hard drive? If you copy an MP3 file to C: will the metadata show up there?

If you turn on the Description column, does anything metadata show for those files? What about in the Metadata panel?

Yes, H is a normal internal hard drive. I copied the mp3 file to C:\ just to make sure, but the hover image still did not show any of the meta data. I added the "description" column to the lister and it didn't show anything in that column. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know about the metadata panel, but since you mentioned it, I found it and enabled it. It does show all the same metadata that the properties panel shows, so at least that is working. Now that I see that I can use the metadata panel, the lack of hover information is less of a problem. However sometimes the hover is more convenient than enabling the metadata panel, so I'm still interested in figuring out why it isn't working.

Do you get info in the Description column or tooltips for other file types? E.g. a JPEG?

At first when I added the description column it showed nothing, even for a jpeg. But then I started playing around with other file types and all of the sudden, a description appeared. Then I went back to mp3's and jpegs and the description was not working! Not only that, the mp3 hover now shows all the tags as I was used to on the older version. I have no idea why it stopped working, and now suddenly started working again. I don't believe I actually changed any settings. I guess there is nothing to do now other than keep an eye on it to see if this problem ever happens again. Perhaps this will be one of those computer mysteries that we will never figure out. Anyway ... thanks for your patience with this issue.

That might mean the thread which retrieves file information was stuck on a particular file. It could be an issue triggered by a particular file or file type, and may (or may not) involve a shell extension something else has installed, depending on the file type.

If you run into the problem again, please make some process snapshots while the information isn't appearing and we will probably be able to see where the blockage is and either fix it (if it's something in Opus) or tell you which component is responsible (if it's something in a shell extension).