Inline Rename of *.xlsx with Viewer Pane

Dear developers!

While inline renaming (F2) of *.xlsx files using keyboard, cursor hides (but focus still present and renaming still available). Viewer Pane is on.

That doesn't happen with the Office 365 Excel Preview Handler in the viewer.

If you have the viewer pane using Excel itself, and not the Preview Handler (usually only done with very old versions of Excel which didn't have a Preview Handler at all) then it will steal the input focus each time it loads a file, and there's nothing we can do about that. But the Preview Handler seems to work fine here, at least.

(I can't tell which you're using as the window is too small to include the name of the viewer, but it definitely looks like it's from a different version of Office to mine, from the style of the scrollbars.)

MS Office 2010. Using Preview Handler, as I can see.

That's the preview handler, albeit a different/older version to what I'm testing with.

Looking again, it's not actually taking focus like I thought, just the cursor isn't flashing. I don't know how/why that could happen, or how the Excel 2010 preview handler could trigger it, since it's something handled by Windows and the standard edit control (which is what appears when using inline rename).

It looks like the edit control doesn't think it has focus, but knows it does have focus, at the same time.

Do you see the same thing in File Explorer? The preview handler and renaming should basically work the same there as well.

Do you see the same thing in File Explorer? The preview handler and renaming should basically work the same there as well.

Unfortunately File Explorer has same issue...

Thanks!

1 Like