Is MTP fixed yet?

Got a new phone (Google Pixel XL), MTP still doesn't work... Is it fixed in V12? Is it worth upgrading or am I still going to have problems with it?

Windows 8.1 x64 and Opus 11 at the moment.

Opus 12 has some fixes for MTP issues, but it also seems to depend on the MTP stack on the phone how well things work. Almost everyone with problems has a Samsung phone (sometimes improved by toggling mtp_enable to delegate more of MTP handling to the shell) but I have not personally tried a Google Pixel.

MTP works OK for me on a fairly stock Android phone, last I used it, but I still prefer using FTP or SFTP. It's wireless which is much more convenient, and it bypasses the MTP stacks in both Windows and Android, both of which have problems (even in Explorer).

Try it and see is the best approach for any given phone. (Or use (S)FTP!)

Thanks Leo.

So long story short is I'd have to test it myself. It works okay with Linux, but that's no guarantee about Windows/Opus.

Microsoft just put out kb4016754 (MTP driver update causes USB connected phone or portable device issue), which seems to have fixed everything. MTP works smoothly on my Pixel XL now. Much better than FTP over WiFi in fact.

Another tip, if you are stuck with FTP you can get a USB ethernet adaptor and connect it to your phone. Not all phones support it, and of course you probably can't charge while using it unless you have wireless charging. But speed wise and reliability wise it's much, much better than wifi.

1 Like