Issues with MTP

I noticed some issues when accessing/copying with DO with my new smartphone (MTP only :frowning:):

1. Sometimes, when entering a folder, files/dirs within are not visible. Refresh doesn't help, I need to open the device (internal storage) a few times again.
  2. When copying and starting another copy-/move-operation, DO starts it but aborts with an error-message "...not allowed...". Maybe all operations with MTP should be queued automatically (force).
  3. When using "Drivebuttons" and e.g. "mtp,removables", MTP is always shown as last device (and not in order of the parameters).

1 & 2 are likely due to bugs in the Windows and Android MTP stacks, as the same can be seen in Explorer sometimes.

For 3, I don't think the order of the arguments matters. If you want drives listed in a particular order, split it into two Go DRIVEBUTTONS buttons, one for each type, in the order you want.

Thanks, didn't test it in Explorer (lots of work with unlocking, rooting, testing custom ROMs,... :wink:)...

Just for info: Issues occured with USB3.0, with USB2.0 it works!

But now DO crashed when copying from phone with drag'n'drop!

I want to reply to this, because MTP issues still exist with the current version (I'm on the beta 12.10.4).

MTP is unusable on DOPUS. I have reported this before for 11.0 and 12.0. File copies freeze almost always, but don't on normal File Explorer. Once it's frozen on the copy, it will not respond. I even have tried leaving it running overnight. The only thing that fixes it is unplugging the device, which leaves DOpus in a crashed state which is not caught by the program, so I have to force close it from Task Manager. I think there are more issues in DOpus related to MTP than Explorer, contrary to what you think. This is really annoying because I have always been forced to use File Explorer for MTP operations. I have not wanted to report recently, because I have believed it to be due to Windows System corruption. But 2 weeks ago I completely fresh installed my PC with a fresh USB install (Downloaded using a clean device). Issues still persist. I have confirmed this on multiple hardware configurations, even with different chipsets, processors, RAM, and GPU's. I have also had this issue with multiple phones and my media player which uses MTP.

As far as I can tell, it seems to freeze once the MTP device goes on standby. File Explorer continues to copy, but when my phone's screen turns off is when I often see the freeze happen in DOpus. It also happens to DOpus when multiple operations are being handled at once like opening a folder while files are copying. This does not happen in File Explorer.

We recommend using FTP instead of MTP if you're having problems. MTP just isn't very well designed or implemented by Windows, Android or anything else it seems.

My media player doesn't support installing apps on it, so I can't use FTP with it. Not sure why DOpus can't use MTP as well as File Explorer does for me.

Part of the issue with MTP is it can't handle multiple accessses at once, and sometimes hangs if it is attempted. It's sometimes hard to avoid, especially with the way Opus is structured.

But I've seen plenty of problems with MTP using Explorer as well. MTP just isn't very good, in our opinion. It's a shame modern devices are using it instead of the old USB mass storage, for wired connections, since that was rock solid.

I do wish Android would still provide the option to use Mass Storage. Really sucks that the only way is by rooting, which I just don't want to do any longer due to security hazards.

Indeed! it's easy to blame it on others! I have never seen this issue with Xyplorer or Exporer!

Plenty of other people have, however, including one person you just dismissed in another thread. :slight_smile:

Using FTP with phones works much better, in any case, unless your wifi is really slow. No need for a cable, either. Or phone-side tools that can copy directly from network shares, which exist for both Android and iOS and work well.

If it's only a MTP issue why I haven't transfert issue with Explorer or Xyplorer but I have often issue with Opus?!!

Using FTP with phones works much better,

It's slower. :frowning:

It seems random. From our debugging, the underlying OS components don't work in multithreaded software properly, so it might happen more in some programs than others.

The phone side may also play a part, which may be a second cause of problems for some people and not others, and could explain why it works OK for you and your phone.

At the end of the day, MTP problems do affect File Explorer as well, even if it they haven't affected you personally.

MTP has been a non-issue with File Explorer for 4 of my mobile devices across 3 different computers, with differing cables (including the ones that came with the devices), for years. All have had issues with DOpus since MTP was introduced. Constant disconnects, transfers freezing between files, deletions halting.

And FTP is not an option for a number of devices, since some businesses do not allow installing such apps, or the user may not be on wifi at the time. I don't think that's a viable alternative for everyone. I don't mean to be rude. I think counting this as a device issue is not really the case here, and it should really be looked into at some point in my opinion.

We plan to investigate it again in the future but we don't have time now (and have already spent days on it in the past). There are too many other tasks that need finishing, while better options than MTP exist (for most people, at least) if they're having problems with MTP in both states (mtp_enable on and off; off is more similar to what FIle Explorer uses).

We do have some ideas to try (moving MTP access into a separate process, for example) but they are things which will take time to experiment with.

Re other tools and devices, AFAIK XYPlorer hosts a shell (File Explorer) window for those folders, which would be why it works in scenarios where Explorer works. Still, it has had issues as well:

https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=17694

And here's an example of another tool which has issues with some devices and not others:

So it's not just us, and we aren't making this stuff up.

2 Likes

I totally understand putting this on the backburner. It's a hard-to-troubleshoot issue, seemingly affecting random devices, and isn't always reproducible. I do get it. I appreciate you being aware of the issue.

I also do understand that it could be something outside of Directory Opus's scope. I was mainly implying I don't believe it's necessarily the devices themselves. Something perhaps with the Microsoft-provided MTP driver, based on the forum link you shared. No idea.

I appreciate your patience with this matter. I'd long since just learned to deal with this issue so it was a bit odd to see it reopened by someone else...

Wish you well with it.

I just want to jump in and mention that I am also seeing issues with MTP in Directory Oputs. I often sync large folders to my Android Tablet via MTP, and I frequently get some "invalid function" error dialog from Opus, in the middle of copy operations from local HD to MTP device connected via USB 3. When the error happens, I have to unplug and replug the tablet and start over.

Windows File Explorer has always worked so far and never gives me this error. MTP is important to have since ftp is excruciatingly slow over wifi, compared to lightning fast speed of MTP.

That depends on your wifi and phone!

Yes, maybe your Wifi setup is much faster than mine. For example, I achieve ~35 Megabytes per second via MTP. FTP is more like in the single digits for me, ~4 Megabytes per second. I am using an old Windows 10 computer and a cheap Android tablet :slight_smile:

I get 60 MB/s over wifi to my phone, faster than the MTP speed you're seeing by the sound of it. My wifi access point is fairly old now as well.

1 Like