Issues within a lister

1. Folders that are copied won't have their sizes automatically shown after finished; -- is displayed instead.

2. If you do a queued move of files from an 'expanded folder', they won't get an overlay icon (for being queued).

3. Compressed folder size doesn't have the same size as displayed in Explorer's properties (I use Everything). It seems to be good on files.

4. I would like a folder filter option that won't apply a filter within an 'expanded folder'. For example, I have a huge download directory, I use a filter to locate the downloaded folder and now I would like to move files from it by expanding it, but I cannot as they are not displayed (unless they have the same string as I've used for filtering)

Thanks!

Turn on Preferences / Folders / Folder Sizes / Update folder sizes after file operations where possible.

Confirmed. Currently the queue icons only work in the main folder, not expanded sub-folders. We do hope to improve this in the future.

Unfortunately Everything doesn't index "size on disk" information so when Everything is being used for folder sizes the size on disk shown is just an estimate based on the block size, and doesn't take compression into account.

That's a good suggestion, we already have plans to improve filtering when Flat View is active so will take this idea into account as well.

Also generally, please ask one question per thread.

Thanks for your answers!

This one was already checked.

It seems to be normally working as the folder size is immediately applied in the ghost item (which is cool).

But I've found two cases where it doesn't work: if I copy from a network share (where Everywhere doesn't calculate sizes automatically) to a local disk - the size won't be shown after finished. The same happens after a .zip extract into a folder.

Not a huge problem, but it's strange...

The "where possible" in that option means it won't always be done, especially if it's expensive to recalculate.

You may need to refresh (F5) to update folder sizes after they are displayed in a window. That will recalculate them.

The operating system doesn't update or even provide folder sizes automatically. Calculating them involves either enumerating every directory and file under a folder or asking an indexing service like Everything. They provide a snapshot, but you should always refresh to ensure the snapshot is up to date if you're making decisions based on them.

If I have just copied folders or extracted the archive, recalculating resulting folders sizes cannot be anyhow considered to be 'expensive' compared to the amount of time spent on operations that were just done... Not to mention DOpus actually already knows sizes as it was the one that did copying/extracting. :wink:

It's not that simple.

You may have just copied a one-byte text file into a folder with a million items and sub-folders. Something else may be changing the same folder in the background.

That I can imagine. :slight_smile:

You may have just copied a one-byte text file into a folder with a million items and sub-folders.

Well, if I have checked the 'Update folder sizes after file operations where possible' option, I'm accepting the risk. Or, you could get sizes for folders that weren't involved in a folder merge?

Something else may be changing the same folder in the background.

That is not a valid argument as exactly that can happen all the time everywhere because DOpus doesn't refresh folder sizes in real time, so the displayed size is just something that was valid at some point in the time.

Anyhow, a fix would be nice when you won't have something more important to fix...