JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in Directory Opus and file dialogs.

I get now always the "path not found" message. The delay has no influence.
Even when I first search and open a folder in Everything itself most pathes are not opened via JumpToFolder.

Same Problem with the 1.0.6 version. There were some updates for Win 11 yesterday. Does this have an influence? I will try it with the VM.

EDIT:
No Problem in VM. After restarting it works again. What was that? ^^
Some trials with "15" successful. But also with "0".

E.g. this path does not work at all via JumptoFolder, but via Everything.

C:\ProgramData\Acronis\ActiveProtection\.backup

Same for other pathes which have a dot inside the path. But in the VM it works. Very strange.

Explorer works now also with Opus explorer replacement active. :+1:

Edit 2: In save mode I could open all path. After restart I can now open the pathes also in normal mode. What is happening there?

After selecting a file/folder in Everything by double-clicking it, a dialog box like the one below is shown with the selected path between :

2022-03-10 23_34_46-JumpToFolder.ahk

Is the correct path shown:

• Always
  • Never
  • Sometimes

In the cases that the correct path is indeed shown, do you get the message "Path could not be found. Maybe off-line?"
(So the cases where the correct path is not shown can be ignored)

• Always
  • Never
  • Sometimes

Hard to tell. Autoruns (by sysinternals/Microsoft) can tell which programs run at startup. Maybe one of these interferes? You can selectively disable/enable possible suspects in Autoruns.
BTW: Clever test, to run in save mode!
BTW2: Can't reproduce the 'dot-issue'. All tested folders with a "." in their name open without issues here.

When the path is found and opened it shows always the correct path in that dialog box.
When the "path not found" message appears there is always no path shown in the mentioned dialog box.

Is the path transferred from Everything to JumpToFolder via clipboard? Perhaps there is some issue due to another software?
Thinking about the possibility to have a live look into the clipboard to see what happens there... Or some general windows log about the actions in clipboard.

It is. After you double-click a result, JumpToFolder tells Everything to put the selected file/folder on the clipboard. When it is 'posted', double-quotes will be stripped of that path and a possible trailing backslash too. Then the FoundPath dialog will be shown. Nothing else happens here.
So you might be on to something. Check if you have some sort of Clipboard manager installed.

I also wrote a version that doesn't use the clipboard as it reads the entry from the resultlist by parsing the SysListView (the technical term for such a list), but that relies on the first column being the Name and the second one being Path (or a localized version of that, like Name und Pfad).
Using the clipboard gives more flexibility in that regard.
If you can't find anything suspicious, I will revert to the original 'SysListView-parser'.

BTW: For Everything 1.5 an entirely different method is being used. It is not affected by any clipboard issues.

I do not have a clipboard manager. I have screenpresso installed, but as long as I do not make screenshot it should not write to/change the clipboard.

At the moment it is working. Strange thing is that it is not reproducable. Sometimes it works, sometimes not under the same circumstances.

Do you have the possibility to define the columns of Everything when launching it? Then the SysListView variant would be "safe". But is also the question if it is worth to put so much effort in the old version. No idea when Everything 1.5 is final.

A lot of this doesn't seem to have anything to do with Opus. Is this the best place for the discussion?

You can use private messages here if there isn't a forum for the tool itself.

Is it possible to invoke JumptoFolder via hotkey?

@Leo Is it somehow possible to interact still with an explorer window even when explorer replacement is active?
Or to ask it in another way: Is it somehow possible to use a ShellExecute() call and tell Opus not to "steal" this call from explorer?

I'm asking, because a planned enhancement for this tool is to select the file when a file was chosen in the Everything window. But when explorer replacement is active Opus "steals" ShellExecute() calls (and causes error messages/crashes thereby).

The current planned workaround is to deactivate JumpToFolder in Explorer when Opus is installed/explorer replacement is active, but perhaps there is a solution for that?

Second question: is there an easy and reliable way to detect (from extern) if explorer replacement is activated?

This would be better as a separate thread. But, yes, either run explorer.exe explicitly or use the “open” verb explicitly in the ShellExecute call and Explorer will open.

ok. I created two threads for further discussion:
https://resource.dopus.com/t/interact-with-an-explorer-window-even-when-dopus-ecplorer-replacement-is-active/

https://resource.dopus.com/t/detect-active-explorer-replacement-from-extern

Yes, sure.
First method:
In the JumpToFolder folder is a shortcut (.lnk file).
If you place that in either the start menu or on your desktop, pressing 'CTRL + ALT + J' starts JumpToFolder. Not only in Opus, but in a any supported file manager /file dialog.

Explorer (the shell) does not pick up on this new keyboard shortcut right away. You need to log out/in to activate it. ( or restart explorer)
Also: There were a couple of reports that this was slow. Can't reproduce, but it is a Windows limitation that I can't do anything about.
Therefor I recommend:

Second method:
Use Opus' internal methods to create a keyboard shortcut.
From memory, as my Opus trial license expired:

• Go to Help > Keyboard map (or in the Customize Dialog go to the Keys tab)
  • define your hotkey there ( 'CTRL + J' is free in an out-of-the box Opus)
  • You can read the command-line from the .lnk properties (Shortcut tab; Target = ...)

But in a couple of days I will release a new version where that command-line will change. Better wait for that.

JumpToFolder 1.0.8 has improved Directory Opus support.
It can now handle "Explorer Replacement" without known issues.

Thanks a lot to @Mosed for testing and contributing!.

Read more - including download location and (changed) installation instructions - here.

1 Like

Thank you. Works for me in Explorer and DOpus. And also the file selection works.

I think this new file selection feature should be added to the initial/first post in this topic. :slight_smile:

Good news that it works!

Did try to edit the opening post, but I think the forum software does not allow me to (most forums have a "cannot edit anymore after x days" policy).

Good suggestion, nevertheless. Thanks!

You should be able to edit the post now. It only limits people who haven't posted much yet, but I've manually bumped your account up a level to bypass that.

Yes, that works; description is updated. Thanks!

1 Like

this is nice so thanks for taking the time to create and share it.
i use flow launcher to search using everything. were it to interface with that? perfect!
not at all in your roadmap i'm sure so please don't get me wrong. this is very useful and will get used daily by me.

Thanks for taking the time to make this tool. For years, I've done something similar with Listary. Listary has an option to add search filters, including a 'folder:' filter. I've shortened this to 'fold:' and by typing that followed by a portion of the directory name it allows me to quickly jump to any folder on the indexed drives. I was wondering what capabilities Everything adds, as it is one of my favorite tools on Windows.

How should JumpToFolder interface with Flow Launcher?
(I did test it a while back, but don't remember all the details)

Everything also has a folder: modifier, like You can search for folder:opu to find all folders with "opu" in their names. (I think Listary was heavily inspired by Everything as quite a few of these functions are the same).
You can also create an alias for folder: (e.g. fold:) if you like that better. Let me know and I will provide details and instructions (please specify your Everything version for that).

If you are mainly interested in searching for folders, you can configure JumpToFolder that way:

• Start JumpToFolder.exe
  • Go to the Settings tab
  • Select Folders instead of Folders and Files :

2022-05-11 16_40_17-JumpToFolder settings (version 1.0.8)