Kaspersky + XP SP3 freezes

Seems Kaspersky is breaking Firefox/Gmail as well:

raymond.cc/blog/archives/200 ... -products/

forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=74111

forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... c&start=45

Something to do with the "virtual keyboard" feature. Maybe it's the same thing that is breaking Opus. People in all three threads say you can fix the Firefox problem by using Sysinternals' AutoRuns and disabling mzvkbd.dll and some other hook DLLs that are part of Kaspersky. The first URL above shows how to disable it, which looks straightforward.

Since those three Kaspersky DLLs are listed in the AppInit_DLLs part of the registry they will be loaded into almost every single process on the machine. If the DLLs are not written carefully then they could crash processes even though they aren't related. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the cause since Opus starts a lot of threads compared to most programs and if there's a thread-safety bug in the Kaspersky DLL(s) then Opus is the kind of program that is likely to trigger it/them.

@leo
always u can try install KIS and DOpus on virtual machine.

I don't know how hard they take that issue to theirs hearts because error exists from months (i figure it out just few days ago after formating my computer and instaling updated version of software)

so i thought there is a way to track that bug in some way using debug functions in dopus. (if such tools/functions in opus exists)

Its obvious for me that bug/problem exist in KIS but i think both companies (kaspersky and gp software) should do what they can to fix it and don't lose theirs clients.

Hi,

I filed a bug report a few weeks ago at Kaspersky Labs. They asked me to run their diagnostic "traces" tool for them to be able to analyse the problem, which I did. So I guess they are working on it. They are currently beta testing a new version. Hopefully the DO problem will be addressed in the next version.

Have either of you tried the mzvkbd.dll workaround?

i disabled mzvkbd.dll via the autoruns program and nothing changed....

BUT i go to the "everything" tab (in autoruns) and delete every entry with missing dll or empty field (about 10 entries)
one entry i cannot delete so i only uncheck it.
I also uncheck dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe and for now seems to be ok.

Just in case, disabling mzvkbd.dll would probably require a reboot to take effect. (Sorry if you already did that.)

OK, I tried disabling mzvkbd.dll using Auroruns with a reboot, but this doesn't solve the problem. I think I'll sit it out until Kaspersky releases their hotfix. For the time being, I'll just start Dopus manually. It isn't such a big deal.

yes i allways rebooting...

anyway thx for response and tryin help.

That's easy to write but impossible to do:) We can't do a thing here since we have absolutely no idea what kaspersky have done in this new version to cause such system instability. Remember Opus has not changed. Kaspersky has changed and kaspersky are the cause of the problem. If you are a kaspersky user then you have to complain to them and or just vote with your feet and stop using their product.

Hi.

Yea i know how it sounds...
but i as php/html/css programmer have to spend my time changing code/creating hacks to all my websites work good on every internet browser.
It's not my fault that internet browsers have bugs or different parsing of code.(in new or old versions)
But people use it and if i want to keep my clients i have to create websites working for every internet browser :]
This is business.

I don't want to blame you because of that problem and i respect your work since DOpus for Amiga.

Sometimes we can manage with problem in few ways...

Best Regards
Martin

This is getting silly folks - we established ages ago that the problem is Kapersky's - they admitted it and said they were working on a solution - there's no point posting here asking for it to fixed.

Go hassle the authors of the problem...

I've locked the thread - feel free to start a new thread when there's a definitive fix or contact an admin. Then we can update this topic.

Kaspersky have released a fix for this issue according to this thread:

forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=77185