Keep getting a popup that an error occurred reading a folder

I frequently get a popup box with this message:

An error occurred reading folder: The system cannot find the path specified. (3)

Below it gives me an option of Retry, Parent, or Abort.

I then have to click through it a few times to close it. None of the buttons help.

It will come up when I have Directory Opus open, but often (maybe always) I am working in a different application. Any ideas what could cause this or how to fix it?

What is the folder it's trying to read?

I don't know. I am usually not in Directory Opus, but it is open.

If you turn off Explorer Replacement (Preferences / Launching Opus / Explorer Replacement), does something happen in an Explorer window instead? Or does something open, like a Settings window?

Nothing happened right away. I did notice that this happened this time when I was in Outlook and in a new message I clicked on Attach File. I do that often and maybe that is always what causes this to happen.

I changed the preferences back to Explorer Replacement. Later on I was working in an Excel spreadsheet and the errors occurred again. Should I turn off Explorer Replacement again?

Is there an action that seemed to trigger it? Was a file dialog opening from Excel like in Outlook, or is that unrelated in the end?

Not that I can tell. I think I just entered a number or a formula into a cell in Excel when it happened. I don't think there were any links to other files.

Something quite strange going on there. My guess is another program in the background is randomly triggering requests to open folders, or maybe something that Explorer would ignore but Opus tries to open if it's set as Explorer Replacement. We haven't had any similar reports.

A script add-in could also be causing it, but that's unlikely if the problem stops happening when Explorer Replacement is turned off. (Unless it was only turned off for a short time, and maybe the problem just didn't happen in that time? Might be worth a try to turn it off for longer, if so.)

You could try catching the problem while Process Monitor is logging. The logs may then reveal which software is triggering the problem and possibly shine a light on what's happening.

Thanks. I will try turning off Explorer Replacement for a longer time and see if it occurs again. If it does, I will try the Process Monitor.

I've been living with it for several months now. I don't even remember if it has occurred on my home computers or just on my office computer.

I have been living with this now for many more months and decided to finally try Process Monitor. Today after the error popped up, I started Process Monitor. The error occurred again while I was away from my computer. When I got back to the computer and saw it, I went to Process Monitor and saved it. Unfortunately I don't know exactly when it occurred, but I was probably only away from my computer for about 5 minutes. I am compressing the file now and will send a link when it is done. Uncompressed the file was 12 GB.

The logs usually compress extremely well.

When sending it, please let us know the name/path of the folder the error occurred with, so we know what to look for.

When the error happens, is there no indication of which path it was trying to read?

For example, in the screenshot below I can tell I tried to go to X:\ (which doesn't exist) from the titlebar, address bar, search field and folder tab label.

Maybe a screenshot of the window and error message would help work out what to look for in the logs, or help identify the cause.

Next time it happens, I will check the path and try to take a screenshot.