Keeping Games Explorer out of Dopus?

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Vista Business and so far (knock wood) haven't had too many problems.

The only thing I've been unable to fix is keeping the Games Explorer window as a non Dopus window. I've found that the Games Explorer folder is stored under the path "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer" but adding any/all of the sub-folders under that to Dopus' exclude list has no effect.

The only reason I want this to stay as a Vista default window is because the Games Explorer has some extra bits of eye candy like Box Art, performance rating, Game version etc.

Can someone tell me how to keep that window out of Dopus? Barring that, is there a way to make a custom view in Dopus that resembles the stock Games Explorer?

FWIW, I upgraded from XP Professional SP2.

The easiest way is to select Replace Explorer for all file system folders (recommended) under Preferences - Launching Opus - Explorer Replacement.

I'm not sure if there is a way to add the Games virtual folder to the exclusions list if you only want to exclude certain folders. It doesn't exist anywhere in the folder tree so you can't browse to find it.

Leo,

I'm not too keen to let Dopus take control of all folders because I prefer to see some windows such as the Control panel,printers etc launch in new windows - also, I'm find the stock views for some of these folders in Windows easier to use.

Re: the games explorer window being a virtual folder - It does seem to be a bit of an odd duck. The path I mentioned below seems to store the shortcut info etc., but other parameters are stored in the registry.

Gah .. "The path I mentioned below above".. Where's the edit button??

Why can't I edit my posts?

It is possible to get 'exclusion list' to automatically add the folder from the active Lister. Open a Lister showing the folder you want to block (eg Games), and then go to the Explorer Replacement page in Prefs. Then, hold the shift key down and click the Add button, and the path from the Lister will be automatically added to the list.

[quote="balaji"]Leo,

I'm not too keen to let Dopus take control of all folders because I prefer to see some windows such as the Control panel,printers etc launch in new windows - also, I'm find the stock views for some of these folders in Windows easier to use.[/quote]

The "for all file system folders" option will probably do what you want in that case. It tells Opus to handle a folder if it is a real, normal directory with some files in it, and not to handle anything else such as Control Panel, Printers, Games, and so on.

Of course you can use Jon's suggestion instead if you want to continue being able to include/exclude individual folders. I'm just mentioning the above in case it saves you some time.

Yeah, there are a few Windows folders like that. What you see in the real directory has some relation to what you see in the virtual view of the directory, but it's presented/decoded very differently.

Woops - sorry for not reading the FAQ and asking dumb questions :blush:

That's a cool trick- thanks for the tip Jon!

[quote="nudel"]

The "for all file system folders" option will probably do what you want in that case. It tells Opus to handle a folder if it is a real, normal directory with some files in it, and not to handle anything else such as Control Panel, Printers, Games, and so on.

Of course you can use Jon's suggestion instead if you want to continue being able to include/exclude individual folders. I'm just mentioning the above in case it saves you some time.

Yeah, there are a few Windows folders like that. What you see in the real directory has some relation to what you see in the virtual view of the directory, but it's presented/decoded very differently.[/quote]

I wonder if because there are actually files in it (shortcuts only) that Dopus will treat the Games Explorer as a file-system folder? I'm hoping that Jon's tip will work, otherwise I will have to remember to always right-click>open for this folder :frowning:

Where are you opening it from? If I open it via the Start Menu it opens in Explorer.

Where are you opening it from? If I open it via the Start Menu it opens in Explorer.[/quote]

I'm opening it from the Start Menu as well. I have the start menu customization active that shows it as a link after my documents, music etc on the right-hand side.

Strange, for me if I open it that way it opens in Explorer. Even if I right-click the Games link on the right of the Start Menu and select "Open in Directory Opus", Opus passes it on to Explorer.

Does Jon's suggestion work? If so then I guess it isn't worth worrying about why our machines behave differently. I'm not sure where to look if Games still opens in Opus even with Jon's suggestion. Must be something I haven't thought of.

Leo - wow for me it was the exact opposite - Dopus would always intercept launching the games folder.

In any case, I'm happy to report that Jon's suggestion does in fact work - the entry in the exclusion list just says "Games" so I'm guessing it's purely a registry/virtual folder that gets displayed.