Keeping tab titles frozen

Hello,

Currenly I can lock a tab (e.g. Downloads) but allow folder changes. The behaviour of this option is this:

• When I navigate into a subfolder (e.g. Downloads/Songs) the folder tab name will change to Songs, and the tab label will say "Songs"
  • If I move to a different tab on the SAME side, my locked Songs tab will revert to the original directory (e.g. Downloads)
  • However If I move to a tab on the OTHER side, the name of the tab will stay on Songs.

I find this behaviour confusing as my locked tab will NOT change back to show the locked directory which then I find difficult to locate.

A more intuitive behaviour can be this: when a user leaves a locked tab (with directory changes allowed) and clicks on a different tab on EITHER side, the tab name should reverse back to its original name (e.g. Downloads) to help the user to find it easier if he needs it. Even if that tab is left on Songs, its breadcrumb still indicates the full path. Then upon clicking back onto the Download tab it will reset its content back to the Download directory - which it does now.

Of course it can be argued what the best behaviour or more user friendly way is. A preference option could also be set in regards to the tab title behaviour, whether to stay frozen on the default value permanently to change (as it does now). I personally would prefer to have the tab title kept frozen.

Any thoughts on that? Many thanks.

You can rename tabs by clicking the tab label (when the tab is already active). That name will then be fixed for the tab even if you change folders.

If the locked tab comes from a tab group, that should give you what you want, I think.

The name can be anything you want, and doesn't have to be the folder name. You can also use codes to insert the current folder name and some other details into part of the name.

More advanced/esoteric naming can be done using scripts.

Thank you , Leo, the manual rename is a good solution for me. :slight_smile:

Is there a way I can remove the folder icons from the tab tile and keep the description only?

The icons can't be removed, at least currently.

Thank you. Having an option to remove them would be helpful as it would give us more room for tabs, a practical aspect. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi!
I would also like to have the icons removed from TAB titles! I find it a good idea!