Keyboard-related issues with DOpus 9

Hi guys,
First, let me say that I’m very happy with this software. You can tell it’s an awesome piece of work when you can’t bring yourself to go back to not using it. Good work! :smiley:

Saying that, I’d like to get some help on the following issues I’m having:

Issue 1: Keyboard arrows do not work on folders with only one file
Scenario: Create a new folder, add a single file to that folder. Close the Dopus. Open a new Dopus and navigate to that folder using the keyboard. You will now notice that the navigation arrows are ignored (for example the down-arrow key and the page-down key).
Further info: AFAIK, this behavoiur is new to version 9, on version 8 I don't remember having this issue.

Issue 2: Find field (incremental search) doesn’t handle some keys
Scenario: Using the “list” mode, navigate to a folder that has many files / folders (enough to have 2 columns or more). Enable the Find Field and press a letter. The Find field is turned on and the focus of the keyboard is set to that field. This causes the following issues:

1. Some arrow-keys are not handled correctly: left/right & home/end handles the textbox, not the lister (note that the up/down & p.up/p.down do work correctly)
  2. the right-click key (usually next to the win key) handles the textbox, not the lister
    Further info: I think this issue can be solved if the focus is set to the lister rather than the find textbox – this is how FireFox implements the incremental search. Does it make sense?

I’d also like to know how to pop up the find field using a custom action (and if possible, also how to set the focus on the lister from any action – I need that quite a lot).

Software used: Directory Opus v9.0.0.2 with Windows XP SP2.

Again, great job you did here – these are just minor issues after all… :unamused:

Cheers,
Fernando

The keys move to the next file, but if there isn't a next file then they won't do anything. Make sense to me. :slight_smile:

If you want to select the current file, press Space.

That is by design, although there was some debate about which keys should go to the field and which should be passed through to the lister. Since left and right arrows are useful in the find field and not often used in the file display (outside of List mode anyway), it was decided that the left/right arrows should be sent to the find field when it's open.

If you've found the file you want just hit Esc to close the field so that all keys go to the lister.

If the find field loses the focus it will close, the same as pressing Esc will do.

If you give the lister focus (see next answer) then when you start typing the find field will automatically open. Does that do the trick?

See the Set FOCUS command.

It does make sense once it's explained. :slight_smile:
Still, this behaviour is not consistent with the default Windows Explorer nor with the previous version of DOpus. So even that it's the "right" way to implement this, it's not the way I (and many others) are used to use it.

Hmm, so there's not much to do. Pitty.

Not quite, but only because I didn't post all the relevant info. Oops.
I disabled the find field so the find field don't show up when pressing the keyboard. I use a global key (Shift-Enter) to pop the Go field (go pathentry) but I'd rather pop up the Find field which supports all that the Go field support and much more. So, what I'd really like is something like the 'go pathenrty' command to show the Find field.

This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks! :smiley:

[quote="fernandof"]It does make sense once it's explained. :slight_smile:
Still, this behaviour is not consistent with the default Windows Explorer nor with the previous version of DOpus. So even that it's the "right" way to implement this, it's not the way I (and many others) are used to use it.[/quote]
Fair point. I don't see any reason not to make it consistent with Explorer (and Opus 6/8) again.

Maybe a 'go findfield' or 'go pathentry=findfield' command is needed.

I think both these things are reasonable things to ask for, and presumably not difficult to change/add, so drop GPSoftware a request or two via their Support page and hopefully they'll get added.