Killer Features of Pro

My 30 day trial is coming to an end. While I'm not a power user, I think the Light version will suffice for me. But I like the Sync folder tool and the "replace Explorer" feature. But these two does not justify a Pro just yet. What are some of the killer Pro features to you?

pro vs lite

I use these:

• Completely configure the user interface including the default toolbars, menus and icons
  • Create complex multi-line scripts and add your own commands to the existing internal command set
  • Read/write support for archive formats other than ZIP
  • Integrated FTP support
  • Native support for portable devices (MTP) like phones, tablets and cameras
  • Integrated metadata editing
  • Use Flat View mode and File Collections to better manage your files

Well for me (user of Pro since the beginning), using the https://www.gpsoft.com.au/program/pro-lite.html comparison list as a cheat-sheet (never used the Light version) are these:

• Windows Explorer replacement including desktop double-click to launch
    Opening folders directly from Explorer desktop or anywhere else in shell opens them in a new tab in Opus, very convenient and tidy.

• Completely configure the user interface including the default toolbars, menus and icons
    I don't know in what way exactly it's limited in Light version, but I have adapted & organized the UI of Opus to my workflow; added my own buttons, menus, commands and custom toolbars relevant to me etc.

• Improved file management functions including recursive filters, secure delete, UAC administrator mode, multiple undo levels and logging

• The advanced filtering is so powerful it's crazy. I don't know where to begin describing it (especially since I don't really know in what way it's limited in Light version).
    • UAC administrator mode enables "surgical" administration of protected files without pain.
    • Multiple undo levels are in a clickable list so you can undo something specific (delete, rename, move, copy etc.) from a specific out-of-order sequence if desired.
  • Synchronize, Duplicate File Finder, file Split and Join functions
    While yes, there are better stand-alone utilities for these operations, for ad-hoc stuff when you need them, they are there, nothing third-party to install. Especially convenient on portable version of Opus. I often used Synchronize with advanced filters to automatically sync work stuff on my USB stick (it's fast because it doesn't blindly copy everything, only changed files).

• Create complex multi-line scripts and add your own commands to the existing internal command set
    I have lots of my own buttons and menus which can do complex things and they boost productivity for both in-Opus and outside-Opus tasks at home and work. At work it allows me to have complex things processed with one click and minimal keyboard data entry instead of multiple steps and running external scripts/programs thus reducing the stress when there are crazy deadlines.

• Full Active Scripting-compatible scripting interface
    This is extremely powerful and I can't describe it without writing a wall of text nobody would want to read (even myself :smiley: ).

• In a nutshell it gives you the power of "real" programming languages (jscript, vbscript) right within Opus. You can even access the Windows API to control any aspect of Windows OS (for example stuff like opening the CD-ROM drive tray can be done with only a several lines of code in Opus button).

• You can also create (and use existing) Add-Ins to alter the behavior of Opus itself so you are not at the mercy of the Opus developers for them to implement some tweak just the way you want. See this example (note: there are probably better/more interesting examples).

But anyway, with Opus (Pro version at least :stuck_out_tongue: ) there are 1001 ways to accomplish things and anyone can do it the way it's most convenient and easiest for them.

• Read/write support for archive formats other than ZIP
    I mean who uses ZIP anymore with 7zip & RAR in the 21st century :slight_smile:
    In fact since Opus uses 7zip internally it supports all the formats 7zip supports (including ISO, VHD virtual hard drives etc.) thus you can directly enter into all these archives as if you're entering into plain folders.

• Integrated FTP support
    Useful for ad-hoc access to FTP servers (and mobile devices wirelessly) with all of Opus' advanced functionality available (as opposed to using FileZilla separately).

• Native support for portable devices (MTP) like phones, tablets and cameras
    This one's easy: full Opus power available when browsing your phones, tablets and cameras. :slight_smile:

• Integrated metadata editing
    TBH I prefer the separate MP3tag utility for this, but you can still use Opus to edit/add all kinds of advanced tags of multimedia files you probably didn't know are even supported by them!

• Use Flat View mode and File Collections to better manage your files
    Another feature that could make me produce a wall of text, but you have to see it (and it's sub-features and the way additional stuff becomes possible in combination with it) in action to fully appreciate it. Try to take a look at this explanation.

• Create stored queries using Windows Search for instant access to complex search results
    Examples for this could be endless. One example would be to have it as a shortcut to display all your 5-star rated songs which are otherwise scattered around the hard disk.

• Priority technical support, discounts on future major upgrades
    Yeah, as a Opus Pro user since Opus 10, I have to say the upgrade discounts were always pretty nice.

I've probably missed lots of other stuff (luckily?! :stuck_out_tongue: ).

1 Like

Thanks for all who shared but this caught my eye. Very useful feature I'd think.

Ok, cool. I can uninstall 7zip then.

Still not much. I wouldn't know anything about scripting but I do like that I can configure the user interface.
Decisions!

I truly love the Sync features and hate to have another tool so this is one feature I can truly appreciate. What you just mentioned, though, blew my mind. You must have specific filters eh? I gotta explore this.

I appreciate your writing in great length on this. Your passion for this tool shows!

Thanks!

There is no need to rush the decision, you can always upgrade from Opus Light to Pro for the difference in price (besides, there are usually discounts around various holidays) :slight_smile:

I've noticed you mentioned that your 30 day trial is coming to an end, did you know that you can extend your Opus Pro trial for another 60 days? So in essence Opus Pro trial can last as long as 90 days total.

AFAIK you can switch between Light and Pro versions in Help > Licence Manager while trial is active so you can compare differences in realtime.