Lag when changing folders

Following scenario: i have a directory with over 1,500 folders, that have columns with file count and descriptions displayed, and contain maybe over 120,000 images, it'y my own photography stuff.

The thing is, i'm experiencing some sluggishness, when i'm leaving a folder, and want to enter the next one. All 16 Cores light up to the maximum for maybe two or three seconds, and the navigation stalls, before i can go into the next folder. I have tried turning off the file counts and descriptions, but that doesn't help much. It doesn't happen in most other directories. Is there anything i could try to speed up the navigation?

Is it less laggy if you turn off "Preferences / File Displays / Folder Expansion / Make folders expandable in the file display"?

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. How did you know? It is considerably faster, even though the high CPU load remains (not an issue, just wondering, why all cores are affected).

I also have looked for the raw command to toggle the expandable modus, but can't find it, even though i came across that command a few days ago here in the forum, and tested it. But i had a key conflict and turned it off. I suppose we can't save the expandable mode on a per site basis, so i'd like to reinstate that button, if i know the raw command. I couldn't find it in the online manual, only Go Expandbranch, which is not the same. Thanks!

Edit2, after testing for a while, the effect isn't as strong as i first thought. Not sure, what's going on. But it's clearly faster.

I can't see why that option would have any effect on the speed of reading folders.

I've had similar lags & freezes recently. for up to 30 seconds at time, in media heavy directory's [movies and music etc].

i did a manual crash dump to send to the devlopers, it turns out it was being caused by background processes from dbpoweramp, a media converter, which was trying to read the content to populate its own column meta.

here's the email that helped me fix this...

Those snapshots suggest the delay might be caused by dBShell.dll, dbPowerAmp's shell extension for adding custom columns.

(They're added using an old API which File Explorer no longer supports, so the DLL itself may not be maintained/tested much these days, since almost nothing would use it. Opus still supports that type of column, however.)

If you're using Opus 13, go to Preferences / Miscellaneous / Shell Extensions, type dBShell.dll into the search field above the list of extensions, and block any that match. Click OK, then use File > Exit Directory Opus from the main window to restart the process. If that fixes things, it confirms the issue was there.

Leo

I've other programs cause "stutters" as well, usually just momentary till a reboot or closing a resource hog of a process.

best luck finding the culprit!

The lag seemed to be lesser at first, but it is still there. When i leave the folder, the file count column starts to populate, in 'chunks'. That's, several groups are calculated, maybe 6 or 7 of them, growing, until all gaps are filled, and all ~70 rows have their file count. While that is happening, the navigation is laggy.

Now i made a new test, removing the filecount and the navigation is quick then. Normal speed. So i will leave the file count turned off for now, since it seems to be the reason for the slowdown. As i guess, in connection with my 70 rows that i have on my 4K monitor.

I've a 4k too. i can be a handful of different process and different time causing random jitters.

I have made a Set COLUMNSTOGGLE hotkey now, to quickly toggle the column off on demand. In my normal operating mode, it's not an issue. Calculates once, and i can browse some folders occassionally. Only when i go through the folders one after another, dozens of times within an hour, like now, where i add ratings to all my images, it is apparent.

After some more testing for a few days, i found, that this effect persists, very high CPU on all 16 threads. But now i found, that it only happens with the normal navigation in and out folders. Interestingly, when i use the new folder arrows hovering to open the folders, and to review my photo tags, all CPU activity remains calm, no shooting up of all threads. I also had a look in the Rainmeter Top CPU Meter when the high load happens (with normal, non-arrow navigation), i couldn't make out anything suspicious, which is contra intuitive. Opus and Everything just have around 6% CPU load then, which i consider very low.

So something is using CPU on all 16 threads, but it's not Opus? Task Manager's Details tab should tell you what's using it.

I can't see anything useful in the Task Manager. Idle Process remains around 98-99% while that burst is going on, which seems normal to me, regarding the idle value.

I also don't have any third party firewall, only the Windows one controlled by a frontend (TinyWall). But like i said, for that 'peek mode' i am engaged in, checking many folders for unusual characters (see the other thread) i'm completely fine with using the arrows, and now even better, using errante's ExpandFolder script. I have no idea, where that behavior is coming from, i have even disabled the EFS file size column. And like i said already, it tends to happen with my very large photo folder only, while othe folders don't fire up the cores. Maybe it's my columns settings, the combination of them? If i find out something, i'll come back to this topic.

ive still been having similar lags, randomly at times, often fixed with a reboot after 10+ hours of uptime. still trying to find the culprit(s).

one thing i tried that helped a small is turning off a few of the visual effects in to performance options.
i have 64g of ram [too much] and generally run between 9 - 12% doesnt seem high at all.

my largest resource hog is by far my web browser, Vivaldi.

1 Like

Strange. Two days ago i still had that lag of 5-6 seconds in my large photo folder, but since the new 13.4.3 beta i can quickly change folders, without any noticable brakeing effect. All cores still shoot up for a split second, but it's very smooth now. :+1: