License (Laptop & USB) Questions

I have some questions about the licenses and how they work.

1. How does the “laptop” license work?
    Is it just a 2nd license? So, if you purchased a “dual install” license, you'd have 4 total (2 regular + 2 “laptop”)?
    I assume the term “laptop license” is just a marketing term and there are no additional restrictions on the 2nd license, legal or more importantly practical.
    I doubt that DOpus is reporting back to the server and throwing an error if 2 PCs are running DOpus at the same time.
    A general explanation of how DOpus check its licenses would be appreciated.
  2. How do the USB licenses work?
    Ok, you have to buy extra USB licenses for about $10. I got that from the other thread, which was pretty explanatory BTW. But I have some practical concerns.
    2a) If I have a USB DOpus drive plugged into my local machine, and I then RDP (MSFT’s Remote Desktop) into a server (Win2008), can I use that USB DOpus install on the remote machine, assuming I have RDP setup to redirect the USB drive (e.g., “drivestoredirect:s:C:;m:;”)? I telecommute into work via RDP and can’t install anything with a footprint on the work server.
    I guess this depends on a few things. Does the server see the local USB drive as a USB drive or is it mounted as a network drive (or something else)? Does DOpus check the USB-ness of the USB drive when the DOpus program is installed on the drive or when that USB DOpus runs from the drive?
    2b) Also, does the USB DOpus drive work through a virtual machine (specifically Vmware Workstation)? I’d have the USB drive in the host machine and the USB pass-thru setup in the guest VM. I assume it does, but might as well throw this question in too.
    Thanks for the help.

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that the laptop licence means you can install a second copy on a laptop, provided it is your own laptop and used as your secondary machine.

This is a user-to-user forum so if you need details of licensing clarified you should ask GPSoftware:

gpsoft.com.au/Contact.html

[quote]2a) If I have a USB DOpus drive plugged into my local machine, and I then RDP (MSFT’s Remote Desktop) into a server (Win2008), can I use that USB DOpus install on the remote machine, assuming I have RDP setup to redirect the USB drive (e.g., “drivestoredirect:s:C:;m:;”)? I telecommute into work via RDP and can’t install anything with a footprint on the work server.
I guess this depends on a few things. Does the server see the local USB drive as a USB drive or is it mounted as a network drive (or something else)? Does DOpus check the USB-ness of the USB drive when the DOpus program is installed on the drive or when that USB DOpus runs from the drive?[/quote]

I'm not sure if that will work. The drive needs to be connected via a USB bus (either directly, i.e. USB stick, or via a card reader, e.g. SD Card) and I doubt it would look that way on the remote side (I think it gets mounted like a network drive). Might be wrong, though.

Yes, it works fine with VMware Workstation. Not sure about other VM types but it should work with anything that does proper USB pass-thru.

[quote="ahbi"]I have some questions about the licenses and how they work.

1. How does the “laptop” license work?
    Is it just a 2nd license? So, if you purchased a “dual install” license, you'd have 4 total (2 regular + 2 “laptop”)?[/quote]

Not quite so:
"Single, Dual and Five Install Licence packs include one free personal laptop Licence for the registered owner."