Limited use of "delete mode" w/ using "find duplicate files"

I tried to send this to tech support, but it is not "recognizing me as a registered user", even though I am still in the 30 day trial. so, I figured Id post here and see if anyone can help.

When using the "Find duplicate files" option in the tool menu, and when "delete mode" is checked; I get results with only 20 or 40 boxes checked. I may have results with several hundred duplicates, that display properly. And based on the file name and size, they are all obviously duplicates. But only between 20 and 50 of them come back "checked" for deletion. If I delete the checked items by pressing the "delete" button, they will be deleted. Then if I hit "find" again, it will bring up another 20 - 50 items "checked" for deletion. With SEVERAL hundred if not thousands of duplicate items, this takes many many attempts before ALL the duplicates get deleted. Why is it not checking ALL the duplicates on the first "find" attempt?

Is there a size limit to the amount of data the program can process? It seems to lock up very frequently when performing a search or "find duplicate files" command. Ive even tried searching smaller chunks of data at a time, with little help. The file folder sizes are typically in the 2 - 5 GB range.

Thanks

If Opus finds two or more duplicates, in Delete Mode, then the first duplicate will not be checked for deletion while the others are checked. (So that if you click Delete you are left with just one copy of the file, rather than deleting all of them.)

Does that explain why some of the items are not checked, or is something else happening? Could you post a screenshot?

Which criteria are you using in the duplicate search?

Is a filter being used?

You need to give the same email address that was used to request your evaluation certificate for it to recognise you.

[quote]If Opus finds two or more duplicates, in Delete Mode, then the first duplicate will not be checked for deletion while the others are checked. (So that if you click Delete you are left with just one copy of the file, rather than deleting all of them.)

Does that explain why some of the items are not checked, or is something else happening? Could you post a screenshot?

Which criteria are you using in the duplicate search?

Is a filter being used?[/quote]

I understand the first box not being checked. Thats not the issue. The issue is that of thousands of duplicates, only 26 (in this case) were checked for deletion. The criteria was name and file size, but not checksum. No filters were being used as far as I know.

As you can see in the screenshot, there are over 2100 files. Yet, only 26 are marked for deletion. I scrolled to the part of the list that actually HAD some marked for deletion. Most of the list is not checked at all. This was done by Opus, not manually checked or unchecked by me.

Hope this clarifies.

That does look wrong. Could you post another screenshot showing all the options in the Duplicate panel? I'll see if I can reproduce it here.

Here ya go.

Is this what you are looking for w the options? Or was it some menu setting that you needed a shot of?

From that screenshot I can see that you're sorting by date - so is it possible the checked ones are just out of view? Try sorting by name and see what it looks like.

I'm not sure how that would make a difference. There are over 2400 files, and only 29 of them are checked for deletion. If you look on the bottom 3 lines of the screenshot, you can see how there are identical files based on file name and size, but they AREN'T checked for deletion.

So is there a setting somewhere that allows me to change the maximum # of files that are checked to be deleted?

Ive been playing with this more, and its is fairly consistant in the amount of files it checks each time. Maybe a RAM allocation thing?

This would definitely seem to be a bug, we'll have a fix for it in the next version.

Is it still possible to get the version just prior to the recent release? (Assuming it would not have this bug)

I suspect this bug has been there since version 8, certainly nothing changed in the last two releases that could have affected it.

As a workaround, you can use the command Select SELDUPES to perform the selection once the duplicate finder has finished running.

[quote="jon"]I suspect this bug has been there since version 8, certainly nothing changed in the last two releases that could have affected it.

As a workaround, you can use the command Select SELDUPES to perform the selection once the duplicate finder has finished running.[/quote]

Ive just looked through every menu option and dont see the SELDUPES. Where am I missing it?

The bug is fixed now, in Opus 9.0.0.3, and there's also a new button in the Duplicate Finder which does the same thing as Select SELDUPES, so you probably don't need to create a button anymore.

If you do, though, just manually create a button which runs the command Select SELDUPES and it should work. The SELDUPES argument is hidden from the argument lists, and isn't documented, but apparently it is there. (It's only useful in this one situation which I guess is why it is hidden.)