Lister open speed in 9.0.0.8

Jon, I have noticed that listers open faster in 9.0.0.8 than in 9.0.0.7 (and before). What I mean by that is the window itself, the lister menu and the toolbars seem to be rendered faster, then folder contents are rendered at the same speed as before. I feel the difference particularly when opening layouts with several listers. So, even though I started this thread in Help & Support, I am not complaining at all :smiley: :smiley:

Now, just out of curiosity, did you optimize anything related to toolbar/menu/icon etc. rendering, or is this only a figment of my imagination? (I have not attempted any exact measurements yet, just would like to know.)

When I open a lister it's instant, everything drawn at once. It has been like that since 6.0.

I wonder what's causing these slowdowns for some people? Odd themes? Slow PCs? Piles of spyware slowing the machines down?

Oh, don't get me wrong, it is just my technical curiosity, being a programmer myself. As to spyware, look at this screenshot, my XP has been like that for a while, so I really don't think there's anything running in the background that would cause any slowdown.

My rough estimate is that lister opening times on my computer have been reduced from something like 0.09 s to 0.07 s with the new Opus build. You would probably call both of these times "instant"---and instant they indeed are, I am not complaining at all.

(You could say that it's not possible for a human to "see" the difference between such short periods of time, but trust me, it is. I have grown up with the Amiga and its interlaced 50Hz screens, and could tell the difference between 40 and 42 fps for example. Back in those good old days, when we talked like "my effect code runs in 0.3 frames, how about yours". Sigh.)

[quote="tanis"]When I open a lister it's instant, everything drawn at once. It has been like that since 6.0.

I wonder what's causing these slowdowns for some people? Odd themes? Slow PCs? Piles of spyware slowing the machines down?[/quote]

What PC specs do you guys have?

I've also noticed a very small increase in speed on my old Athlon 2500+.

My home CPU is an old 32-bit Athlon XP Thoroughbred running at 2210 MHz, and I have 1 GB of DDR RAM. Not exactly the state of the art, but it's fast enough even for my complex Visual Studio builds (essentially this is the only performance-related thing I really care about these days :wink: )

[quote="Cristian"]What PC specs do you guys have?

I've also noticed a very small increase in speed on my old Athlon 2500+.[/quote]

I TOO have noticed that listers open faster in 9.0.0.8 than in 9.0.0.7

I use Windows XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex GX260, 1.8 ghz; I've customized my Windows system to elimate slowdowns, never-the-less, previous versions of Dopus listed awkwardly.

Bob

Perhaps some of you could attach some videos showing these slow opening listers?

take a look at this post and look for the Click Here link

resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

The left lister is acting differently from the right lister.

[quote="tanis"]Perhaps some of you could attach some videos showing these slow opening listers?[/quote]I didn't say they were opening slow before 9.0.0.8, they are faster by a quite small margin now. And I have similar PC secs to Alan's. Maybe this is noticed only on older computers.

[quote="defisit"]take a look at this post and look for the Click Here link

resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

The left lister is acting differently from the right lister.[/quote]
I think that is a completely separate issue.

My point is that they were instant before, and instant now - impossible to see a difference in speed here when they just open straight away with no delay. Regardless how many listers or what the listers contains.