Listers with arbitrary number of panes?

Is it possible to support more panes without arranging windows meticulously in the future? For example tri-pane, quad-pane? I wish daily for a tri-pane especially on the widescreen monitor. The only thing that would behave weird is the swap panes button. But it could swap current with target pane. Of course we would need a way to select one of the many panes as target, since it won't be obvious which one it should be.

It's not possible right now. Folder Tabs and Layouts are both tools which can be used to tackle similar needs.

Tabs let you have more than one folder to hand on each side of a dual display (or in a single display, of course).

Layouts let you create a multi-window setup and then save and recall it at the click of a button, without having to re-position things again.

You can also use commands or even scripts to position windows next to each other if it's needed on a more ad-hoc basis than Layouts are suitable for.

Yes, thanks. However I like to see everything and tabs hide the file listings and I just really love the way panes are perfectly glued together as one window, and how the dividers can be moved to adjust relative sizes.

It will be nice idea if people can link single listers together / group them. Like, for example, some mp3 players when I can use separate window for equalizer but also can link that window to main screen. These 3, 4 or more connected windows move together, close together etc.

I made some scripts that mark few listers as linked so they can be close together and bring to front together when one of them is activated, but it not work very good.

Is made something like that very difficult?

Support for more panes would be great, especially if I could start with a dual, then split the right side horizontally, so I have a pane on the top-right and a pane on the bottom-right. Then lock navigation in those panes, set one to thumbs and one to details. Best of both worlds :slight_smile:

It's similar to what I wrote but with small difference - many single listers are possible right now, without adding extra code - the only is missing is to link them together so they can move together, bring back/front together etc. In fact more panes in single lister will be the same like multiply single listers - you must choose which one is destination and which one source, so I see no difference. You have everything you need right now - you can made key shortcut to open directory in new separate lister or open any type of lister you want based on existing one. The only what is needed is to forget about that old idea of two-panes in one lister and start using single listers like unlimited panes mode.

No, there's a HUGE difference:

Can I move the border between one and the other lister and they both adjust (one smaller, one larger)?

• No

Do they move and come forward/backward together?

• No

Do they appear as one Window in the Windows Bar?

• No

Can I use the swap and left right arrow buttons to switch pane views between those panes?

• No

etc. etc.

That is what I'm talking about. If windows can be connected/linked together (which is not possible now) you could move border between them and move and come forward/back together. And of course if linked will be possible, it should shown as one task. That is what is missing and that is what I'm asked for. Is just much easier to add possibility to link listers than made new modes like 4-pane, 6-pane etc.

And about swap - it's possible right now. I have two shortcuts - one for copy source to destination, second for swap them - not a big deal with single listers.