Load time delay after inactivity

Hello,

DOpous is configured to load the last opened lister on double click on the desktop. If I close the lister (i.e., DOpus runs in the background) and immediately double click on the desktop it brings back the last lister very fast, but if I wait for about 30 minutes without opening any lister there is a considerable delay of about 5 seconds to bring back the last opened lister. I have never had this behavior using Opus 10 it started with 11. What could be the cause of this behavior (does Opus uses some caching mechanisms to use on the lister, toolbars etc.) and is there something that can be configured to eliminate it.

Thanks

It sounds like the program's memory has been paged out to disk - how much memory do you have in your machine? Were you using any other software during that 30 minutes?

Also, are you sure Opus is actually still running and hasn't been shut down somehow? Task Manager should show dopus.exe still running as well as dopusrt.exe.

Well I have not changed anything memory wise after installing Opus 11 over 10 about 10 days ago. I have a lot of memory free memory (about 3 GB) free out of 8 GB RAM. Sometimes I don't use any other program during this time and it still has delay on loading. I do have a page file but it is located on my SSD, so it should be quite fast to page it back to RAM but per your answer I will completely disable my page file and see if there is a difference in loading time after disabling the page file. I will let you know the results.

Thanks

It could be something in your toolbars which points to a resource (e.g. an icon on a network drive) that is quick to access if it has been used recently but slow to access if not.

I have disabled the page file completely and the problem persists. I don't have a network drive as well. I have been trying many things but now for the last few hours it behaves much better because I manually increased the priority of dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe from Normal to above normal. I don't know if that fixed the problem I will wait a few days to make sure and I also don't think that it is the best solution to this problem. Is there something that was fundamentally changed between Opus 10 and 11 regarding caching of toolbar icons (if you do have caching at all?) or internal threads priorities that could explain this behavior?

Thanks

Nothing like that changed that I can think of.

If changing the process priority helped then it could only be because another process is using (a lot of) resources at the same time.

My CPU usage is between 1 to 4 percent. Nothing is really hogging the system. I am asking again: Do you cache toolbar icons?

Thanks

Icons in Icon Sets are cached; individual icons are loaded on-demand.

Disk usage could be a factor if CPU usage isn't. It's probably system caching, but then the task priority wouldn't make a difference (but maybe that is a red herring).

Is it possible to install a portable DOpus to a local/external folder instead onto a USB. This way I can put the whole application on a RAM Disk and everything will be cached including my toolbar programs' icons which might be a probable reason for this problem?

Thanks

Yes. Turn on the "use as a dongle" option when exporting the USB copy and you can copy it to anywhere. (The USB stick still needs to be plugged in.)

That may speed things up on its own, if the problem was not to do with loading toolbar icons (which is a possibility).

But if the problem is toolbar icons which are loaded from other programs then you may also to make sure those programs are on a fast drive, since the icons are loaded from them. (Or you could extract their icons and turn them into an Icon Set, and use that for the toolbar buttons instead, so Opus never has to look at the external programs to get their icons.)

What are the toolbars using for their icons? Is it things also on the USB stick or things on the local harddrive? If they are EXE/DLL files then antivirus may also be involved as another possibility.

Is it also possible to unplug the USB and still use the folder.
Does Opus need to search on the disk for toolbar icons of DLL and EXE every time I close the lister and then reopen it by double click on the desktop?

Thanks

The USB stick has to remain plugged in while Opus is running in USB mode.

If icons are loaded from files then those files also have to exist or the icons can't be loaded next time they are needed.

You don't have to store the icons or Opus itself on the USB stick though. You can move or copy all the files to something faster and just use the USB stick as a dongle.