Lock folder pane

Hi all!
In D.O. 8, I have repeatedly had trouble with source/destination folder panes swapping between each other every time i clicked on one or another.
This has also been hazardous when one synchronizes between two folders and may accidentally click on destination folder, which will reverse the whole syncing process...

I would like to have a Lock option in dual list modes, so that the source, remains source even if I click in destination folder.

The lock could also work as to lock the view of the specific folder so even if in the folder tree I navigate and click another folder, the locked source will remain intact.

Any suggestions?
ps: i hope this function is not there already, cause I've been searching for it in vain..:slight_smile:

It's definitely there in Opus 9. It's been so long that I can't remember if it's in Opus 8.

thanks! i'll have a look at the new features list.
this alone is worth the upgrade for me..

Would it be easy to point out the exact link of this feature? is it tablock?

I looked at the online DO9 manual and your tutorials, and found the Navigation lock, which does a different thing, and the tablock command:

But one needs to create a tab first (right?), can this not be a applied directly to a pane?

There's a lock icon at the top of the folder tree that you can click to stop it changing when the location changes.

Or you can set Opus to only open a folder tree for the left pane and not share it with the right pane at all, even if it is unlocked. So the tree will follow changes in the left file display and completely ignore the right one.

(Or you can open two folder trees, one for the left and one for the right, and so on.)

that lock doesn't seem work here, or rather it works the other way round..
and it is only for the folder tree..
I want a pane to remain intact as source/dest even if i click in the other pane. i do not want them to change each time i click from s to d..

Oh, there's no way to lock that, but if it's just the Sync tool that it's causing problems with then you can unlock the Sync paths themselves. They'll still default to the source/dest paths when you open the sync panel but after that they are locked until you change them manually or close the panel.

Actually, the Amiga version of Opus had an edge in this area. It used to have a multifunctional Source/Destination toggle, with "Set Source", "Set Dest", "Lock as Source", "Lock as Dest" options, just as you wish.

What's more, you could even have multiple sources and multiple destinations at the same time (using the "Lock as..." toggles).

Would be very nice ot have this in Opus 9 (or 10 :wink: )

[quote="evan.fotis"]that lock doesn't seem work here, or rather it works the other way round..
and it is only for the folder tree..
I want a pane to remain intact as source/dest even if i click in the other pane. i do not want them to change each time i click from s to d..[/quote]

Thanks!
I just noticed those locks...
They come in very handy, although imho they have the reverse icon..
The unlocked icon, keeps the original source/dest locked, whereas the locked icon, changes with each click to the other pane :slight_smile:

As for my initial request, it's a pity that the Amiga version had that option which now is not available..

But doesn't the tablock do that?
or isn't there any script which could do it that could be added as a button?

There still is Set Source and Set Dest, of course.

Opus on the PC originally also had Lock as Source and Lock as Dest, like the Amiga version, but I don't think anybody ever used it except by accident.

People definitely used to get confused because the active pane was not always the source pane which resulted in the source/focus being tied together in Opus 8 or 9 (I forget which).

As the button tooltips explain, the lock buttons lock the path to the file display, rather than locking the path from being changed at all.

Tab-lock stops tabs from changing paths. It's got no relationsship with source/dest.

You could make a button which ensures the left side is the source before opening the Sync panel. If the two locks are off then that should solve the whole problem, I think.

Similarly, when running external commands you can ignore source & dest and explicitly request the left and right paths instead, to ensure things are always a particular way around. Doing the same with the selected files -- rather than just the paths -- currently requires a slight hack but works very reliably.

When else do you need to use left vs right, rather than source vs dest?

thanks for all that!
I just want my folder panes/ tabs to be able to lock at where they are (not navigating from there if i click on another folder in the tree) and what they are (Source or Destination).

BTW, I tried your script but an error pops up that Windows cannot find BeyondCompareSFvDF path..

How come I came up with this request (that has been bugging me for quite some time?)

In AE http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/index.htmlhttp://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/index.html there is a nice little lock icon that keeps a preview window active, even if one is working on another timeline.

Locking a comp viewer and changing values in another comp is also known as ETLAT (Edit This Look At That.)

I thought, D.O. must have something like this..

Here, I have two viewers and two timelines active. I made some arrows so one can see which corresponds to which. The little lock icos are visible as is the context-click menu that appears on the viewer.

The Tab Lock should do the first thing. It has two modes:

Mode A: If you change to another folder then it will happen in the tab, but if you then click on the tab again (or go to another tab and come back) you'll be reset to the locked folder.

Mode B: If you change to another folder then a new tab will open automatically, keeping the locked folder in the locked tab. That new tab isn't locked and will be re-used if you go back to the locked tab and navigate to another folder. (So you don't end up with hundreds of extra tabs cluttering up the place.) Of course, you can choose to lock the new tab, or any other tab, if you want to.

(I think some or all of the tab features are only in Opus 9.)

Sounds like you didn't create the BeyondCompareSFvDF user command.

The tree lock seems very similar to the ETLAT feature you describe, if I've understood correctly.

Thanks for the info,
So I could use the locktab for that in v9.

I followed your tutorial in that thread exactly,created both button and user command, but I'll have another look if I missed smthng.

and btw why is html disabled by default in the post window?

HTML messes up XML which people use to share buttons.