Long Filename and Double Left Click issue

What happens if you turn Auto-Size Columns on in Folder Options?

That did the trick. The auto-sized columns are applied in list view as well as in details/power. Thanks for the help. Out of curiosity, is this intended behavior or no?

Yes this is intended - basically the width of the name in List View is now the same as the width of the name column in Details View. So you can either set a specific width, or use auto-sizing.

Alright, thanks for clarifying. Was a bit confused because that option doesn't mention affecting list mode, but I suppose the functionality makes sense.

Well with that out of the way, does anyone have any ideas on my other problem? Any time I double click any file it both opens it and tries to rename it. I checked my double left click event for "all files" and "all files and folders" in file types and they were both set to undefined. I tried setting them to just "Go" but that just does the same thing. Now if I set them back to undefined, double clicking files just renames them without opening them at all. -_-

This sounds to me like a mouse driver issue - though exactly what I have no idea. What mouse / mouse software are you using?

I'm using a Logitech MX Revolution with the latest Setpoint Software (3.30). I have no modified the double click speed options or anything like that. I didn't have this problem in DOpus 8, and I'm not sure exactly when it cropped up in 9. It's only noticable when you open a file that opens in a background window somewhere because otherwise the program that opens will steal focus and abort the renaming process. I doubt it's a mouse driver problem because double left clicking a file in explorer on my desktop and they open, and then revert to merely selected (rather than renaming).

What is the default left click behavior supposed to be for "all files" and/or "all files and folders?" It was originally but after changing it, setting it back to by making the entry blank or deleting the function does NOT restore the default double left click behavior. I had to set All Files double left click to "Go" in order to get file to open. Setting it to go opens and renames though, just like it was doing.

Alternately, is there a way to revert to the default DOpus config, or completely reset the "file types" settings?

I played around with the double click speed setting and there was no improvement. I am starting to notice that it seems to be limited to certain file types. For example, MP3s and PDFs will always get renamed after opening, but txt files don't.

After further testing, it seems to be related to the PROGRAM the filetype is running in. IE If I double click an MP3 and it opens in winamp, renaming starts, but if I change my file association to Windows Media Player and double click an MP3, it does not try to rename it. I know it's not a winamp issue because filetypes for other programs do the same (PDFs opening in adobe reader get renamed too, and doc files in MS Word and a few others).

I'm very confused now. Could it be related to the DOpus viewer? Or maybe has something to do with DOpus's parameter passing of filenames?

It almost looks like DOpus is registering the re-selection of the file following a double click as an actual click.

It's a long shot but does toggling File Operations - Options: Postpone file deselection until end of function help?

As far as I can tell, Opus is interpreting mouse clicks the same as Explorer.

What are you double-clicking that opens in the background without taking the input focus? Maybe if I try the same thing I'll see it as well.

I am opening MP3's in winamp while winamp is running but minimized. This should play the file without taking input focus. That is where the behavior is most noticable.

That option made no difference. It was on already in my preferences and toggling it off had no effect.

EDIT: Just made another new discovery. It only happens in the following view modes:

List
Small Icon
Tiles

The other view modes appear to be unaffected

Thanks for narrowing it down. I've been able to reproduce it now, using Media Player in taskbar mode. (Took me a while to find an app that didn't want to take the focus when I double-clicked files!)

Ahh, so does that mean this is a real bug then, not just a preferences issue?

It is a bug :slight_smile: I've had it since I started using DOpus 9. List view in DOpus 9 seems to have all sorts of issues unfortunately. Unfortunate because that's the one I use all the time :stuck_out_tongue:

There's the renaming issue, there's file search moving the found file out of focus when the Find panel closes and there's also the issue with auto-sizing - every list view column gets the same width as the longest item in that folder. So, if I have a really long file name for just one file and all the others are really short file names, I'll still get columns which are all really wide and make life difficult because I have to scroll around. Maybe my description doesn't really explain it but try it with a folder full of files so that you get multiple list view columns :slight_smile:

[quote="Fahim"]It is a bug :slight_smile: I've had it since I started using DOpus 9. List view in DOpus 9 seems to have all sorts of issues unfortunately. Unfortunate because that's the one I use all the time :stuck_out_tongue:

There's the renaming issue, there's file search moving the found file out of focus when the Find panel closes and there's also the issue with auto-sizing - every list view column gets the same width as the longest item in that folder. So, if I have a really long file name for just one file and all the others are really short file names, I'll still get columns which are all really wide and make life difficult because I have to scroll around. Maybe my description doesn't really explain it but try it with a folder full of files so that you get multiple list view columns :slight_smile:[/quote]
You can restrict the width of names in List mode. That's one of the new features for List mode in Opus 9. See the first of the two tip boxes at the bottom of the Other Display Modes section in my Opus 9 guide:

nudel.dopus.com/opus9/page2.html ... splaymodes

So that's just two issues, I think, unless you want auto-sized columns of varying widths, but then when you resized the window things would jump around quite wildly as columns became wider and thinner due to filenames moving around.

(I'm surprised at how many people use List mode in Opus (or anything else). I've always disliked the concept of horizontally-scrolling file lists, and I like seeing more than just the filenames too, but from the forums over the years it's become clear that plenty of people feel differently. I'm not trying to start a silly "my view mode is better than yours" sub-thread -- everyone should use whatever floats their boat! -- I'm just expressing my surprise as a while ago I would have assumed that nobody would want List mode, let alone use it by default. How wrong I was!)

I wonder how the Search Field's going to be changed. Pop it up at the side of the screen in List mode so things don't move around when it's hidden? :slight_smile:

Thanks Leo :slight_smile: Was aware of this and this wasn't what I meant. Only thing is, now I'm not so sure what I meant. I just know that in DOpus 8, I had this particular folder being displayed better because now I see only one column of files per screen because there is one really long file name amongst the files in there. I'll have to install DOpus 8 on a virtual machine and access the same folder to see what the heck was going on though. Will post an update if I find the difference :slight_smile:

I'm surprised to hear that so many others use it besides me :stuck_out_tongue: I always thought that most people preferred the detail view. I like the list view mostly because it lets me see more files in one screen - thus my gripe about the column issue in list view because I'm back to seeing only one column of files even with list view :stuck_out_tongue: I customize my file info tooltips to display all the other information I want because most of the time, I don't want the extra info for all the files - just one or two ...

[quote="nudel"]
I wonder how the Search Field's going to be changed. Pop it up at the side of the screen in List mode so things don't move around when it's hidden? :slight_smile:[/quote]

I was thinking that they might simply want to show the search field and then not automatically turn it off. Give a close button but let the user decide. Of course, that goes against the original intent of the search field :stuck_out_tongue: Other option would be to give a floating search field that does not displace any of the displayed files but that probably would become annoying ...

List mode is IMHO the best compromise between being able to see the maximum amount of files at once without overly cluttering the lister. I'll switch into details or power sometimes (I almost never use large or thumbnails unless I'm trying to find a specific picture) but most of my folders I'd rather see all my files at once than see the details for each. I also use a dual pane horizontal layout for DOpus, so scrolling left to right is a bit more intuitive than up and down.

Anyway, I think the list view columns thing is fine now that nudel pointed me towards the auto-size columns option. When I was asking "is it an actual bug" I more meant the renaming thing.

Sorry to be a nag about this, but I want to make sure it gets attention from the developers if attention is needed.

About the double-left click renaming issue. Nudel, you said you could reproduce it, correct? So it is an actual bug in DOpus 9? Should I submit a technical support request, or have you taken care of that already? I'm sure the devs are busy and I don't want to submit extraneous requests if this has been brought to their attention already.

In the meantime I'm having no luck finding a workaround. I run a VWM (virtual window management) setup on my system, so very few applications steal focus from DOpus when I double click a file (because those applications are on different virtual desktops) so I now have to be very careful not to hit delete or any other keys after opening any file, since it will be renamed if I do -_-.

Yeah, I can confirm it. A bug report has been filed so it should get fixed.

Alright, thank you very much for your help, and for being so responsive.

This is fixed in Opus 9.0.0.1:[ul][li]...[/li]
[li] Double-clicks in List/Thumbs/Tiles mode no longer enter inline rename if the launched program did not take the focus[/li]
[li]...[/li][/ul]Full list of changes here: [Directory Opus 9.0.0.1)

Indeed. Got the new build a few hours ago, and it works great now. :slight_smile: