Long folder names = Error message

Hi,

I encounter Error messages from DO when working in long folders.

This is the pad to the file :

I:\down\FireFox 1.0.4\EXTENSIONS\Plain Text to Links 0.3\Verbeterde versie van textlink0.3 (GERD) kopieer deze file naar C-Documents and Settings-Toppy-Application Data-Mozilla-Firefox-Profiles-399ja7lq.default-extensions-{ec268e28-22c6-4a6c-ac22-635cabee283c}-chrome-directory\textlink.jar

Please see the screenshot below :

This one occurs when I rightclick the file textlink.jar and choose properties : screenshot

When I rightclick the file and choose open with Notepad, Notepad simply crashes.

P.S. I created the directories, and copied the file there from within DO.

Just to add when I try to run the file here :

I:\down\FireFox 1.0.4\EXTENSIONS\Plain Text to Links 0.3\Verbeterde versie van textlink0.3 (GERD) kopieer deze file naar C-Documents and Settings-Toppy-Application Data-Mozilla-Firefox-Profiles-399ja7lq.default-extensions-{ec268e28-22c6-4a6c-ac22-635cabee283c}-chrome-directory\kopieer het bestand textlink.jar naar de default firefox profile folder.bat

I get this following error : screenshot

File paths longer than 255 characters will cause problems with almost all Windows programs, including simple things like Notepad as you've seen.

If you cannot shorten the path you can work around the limit by using subst to map a drive to part of the path and then point the programs at that.

I'm afraid Devilder cannot shorten the path because it contains a dutch sentence.... We need a lot of words to describe things... 255 characters is just not enough!

Do you think German is better? :slight_smile: But I never describe things in foldernames (why not using a simple textfile!?). I'm afraid you need to contact MS and advise them to add some more chars :wink:

OK thanks. I understand GPSoftware doesn't need to fix the OS shortcomings, I shortened the path, and made a little readme.txt.

Thread can be closed.