Long freeze upon first lister load when connected to network

Hi,

I've looked around in the forums and elsewhere, but did not see an answer to my questions. I've used Directory Opus for the past couple of years at least, and upgraded to version 8.x some months ago.

The problem is that after rebooting Windows, and even sometimes after Windows has been up for awhile but I haven't openend a new lister for a couple of hours, Directory Opus hangs for as much as 30 seconds when I open a lister. That is, I'll double-click on the desktop, a directory Opus lister frame opens up normally, but then there is a long wait before the lister is populated. Subsequent listers open with normal rapidity.

I've traced the problem, as far as I can tell, to connected network drives. Specifically, I'm running Windows 2000 and I'm connecting to Samba-shared drives on a Linux box and a Solaris box. If these drives are not mapped when I open that first lister, the lister pops open and is populated almost immediately. If I then map those drives, the next lister I open takes that really long time to open, even if the Linux or Solaris drives are not being displayed. Subsequent listers open normally.

One other time this seems to happen is when I connect for the first time to a drive I have mounted in my system by way of a Promise IDE controller card. That is, I have five drives physically located in my system: two optical and two IDE connected by way of the IDE controller on my motherboard, and a third IDE drive connected by way of the Promise controller card.

I don't recall this hang/freeze problem happening with version 6.x of Directory Opus. Is there anything I can change to speed things up?

Thanks

Scott

Does the same thing happen if you open the drive for the first time using Explorer rather than Opus?

Unless it's something to do with the way Opus authenticates via mapped drives (and AFAIK Opus doesn't, it's up to the OS and thus should be the same as Explorer), it's likely to not be an Opus issue but something to do with Samba or maybe your network (e.g. firewall).

FWIW, the first time I connect to a Windows network drive it takes a long time as well but this isn't limited to Opus, it happens with Explorer as well. I've never bothered to track down why it takes so long for the login prompt to appear. (At work it appears instantly so I'm guessing there's something missing or being blocked on my home network.)

I have noticed this to
but even more that the above if I open the My Documents folder it takes longer to come up than any other folder on my pc

I can open a folder I have created on the desktop and there is no problem then I can go anywhere without the wait
but to directly access some folders causes major lag

It does NOT do it with IE

It is by far IMHO the best IE replacement out
Keep up the good work
i'm sure you guys will firgure it out

I have a similar problem with NT4 shares at work. Listers take about 30 seconds to populate. In Explorer the delay is about 10 seconds. I have never noticed the problems with hard drives, even with extra PCI IDE controllers. However, the delay is tied to the tree. If I open a lister without a tree it opens almost instantly. I think the best solution is to create a toolbar with Go commands for the drives you want to access and then just turn off the tree. Then the problem just disappears.

Leland

Hi,

Sorry I dropped out of this discussion for awhile. I really appreciate everyone's responses. What I've been doing in the meantime is experimenting with different firewalls and several other settings. The firewalls and or anti/virus seemed to be the culprit, but upon further examination, that turned out to not be the case.

Subsequent to the Dopus startup problem, my machine had started to take a really long time to shut down. Again, I thought it might be related to firewall and/or antivirus settings but, again, this was not the case.

I finally traced the problem to a corrupt pagefile.sys file. It probably became corrupted after several Windows crashes, but in any case, when I deleted and recreated that file, the Windows shutdown problem as well as the Dopus startup problem were both solved!

Thanks again to all for your assistance.

Scott

I too have problems with DO v8.0 taking much longer than explorer to do any file operations on networked folders. If I open a networked folder in DO, the lister populates reasonably quickly, but if i select all the files, it takes ages before I get the right click menu for deleting or moving the files. In Windows Explorer, this action is more or less instantaneous. If i delete the files on the networked folder, Opus is very slow at deleting them even without the secure wipe option. Windows explorer on the other hand deletes them instantaneously. Any suggestions anyone?

The slowness is probably not because Opus deletes files slower than Explorer (it should be the same speed) but because the network usage is increased due to Opus trying to populate the Description column (or similar) over the network. This happens in the background after a listing has been displayed and you should be able to see the extra columns gradually filling up for each file.

To check if my guess is right, try opening Task Manager and switching to the Networking tab, then see if there's more bandwidth being used just after you navigate to a network folder (you don't have to start deleting the files).

Either way, it's a good idea to turn off certain columns on network drives so that Opus only loads up the basic file information (unless you're on a very fast network). The Description column is the main one to worry about, but also ones which display image width, MP3 tags, and so on will cause additional file access which can use up network bandwidth.

Under Preferences, Folders, Folder Formats you can define a format which will be used for Network Drives and this is the best place to remove the extra columns.

Keep in mind that the Content Type Formats may kick-in automatically if files of a certain type are detected, even on a network drive. You may want to disable them temporarily while experimenting with the Network Drives format, to avoid confusion.

An alternative, and quicker, way to test my theory is to set up a lister with minimal columns and then click the lock icon in the status bar which will stop the format from being changed for that lister. Then navigate to a network folder and see if deleting files is quicker.