Lost ability to drag/drop into and out of DOpus

I have no idea about the cause, but you should probably install 9.1.17 and see if the problem persists.

Try installing the registry fix for broken IStream registration as that is often behind drag & drop breaking completely.

I have a similar problem where I can't copy folders from an FTP site to a local directory. CTRL-C and drag&drop doesn't work. I have to go in File Commands > Copy to copy. I installed the IStream fix and the problem still persists.

Check what Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V are defined as in Customize -> Keys. If they are missing completely then it could be that you've deleted the Edit menu (or its contents) and taken the Copy/Paste hotkeys with it. You can make standalone hotkeys if you don't want the menu items.

Also check what your Settings -> File Types -> All Files & Folders (etc.) -> Events -> Drag & Drop events are set to. Normally the All Files & Folders drop event will be Copy MOVEWHENSAME while the drop event for other filetypes will be undefined (meaning it uses the All Files & Folders event).

[quote="leo"]Check what Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V are defined as in Customize -> Keys. If they are missing completely then it could be that you've deleted the Edit menu (or its contents) and taken the Copy/Paste hotkeys with it. You can make standalone hotkeys if you don't want the menu items.

Also check what your Settings -> File Types -> All Files & Folders (etc.) -> Events -> Drag & Drop events are set to. Normally the All Files & Folders drop event will be Copy MOVEWHENSAME while the drop event for other filetypes will be undefined (meaning it uses the All Files & Folders event).[/quote]

Set and set... It stopped working after installing Polystyle. Uninstalling that software didn't fix it.

I installed the Polystyle trial version on a Win2k virtual machine. Drag & drop from FTP sites to local folders still worked okay. So I don't think it's Polystyle, unless its some feature of it I didn't enable (e.g. IDE integration) or that the trial version doesn't install.

By the way, there is a file copy button on the default toolbar. No need to dig through the File Commands menu to get to it.

[quote="leo"]I installed the Polystyle trial version on a Win2k virtual machine. Drag & drop from FTP sites to local folders still worked okay. So I don't think it's Polystyle, unless its some feature of it I didn't enable (e.g. IDE integration) or that the trial version doesn't install.

By the way, there is a file copy button on the default toolbar. No need to dig through the File Commands menu to get to it.[/quote]

Don't know... Maybe it's specific to Windows XP. The fun part about all this is that drag and drop still works for normal directories (local and network), just not for FTP sites. Dragging files also work in both FTP and local.

Forgot to mention. FTP dragging for directories work if the drop target is outside of DOpus (ie.: Desktop).

I also tried resetting my directory opus configuration but the behaviour still exists with the default configuration.

Could you post a screenshot showing exactly what you are dragging and where to in Opus, and another screenshot showing your drag & drop events in the file type editor? Maybe there's a detail we have not though to ask about.

You can use a public FTP site like ftp.demon.nl if you want to avoid revealing details of a private site. (That might be a good idea anyway in case it only happens on the sites you've been using for some reason.)

As you can see, it's a download drag drop in two listers (same window or different doesn't change the behaviour). Upload of directories work.

Thanks... That gave me some ideas but none of them turned out to be relevant. :frowning:

If you go to Tools -> Output Window -> FTP #1 (or FTP #2 if the site is set to log to there) does anything appear when you let go of the mouse button? Perhaps it's trying to download/connect but failing for some reason.

Also, do you get a menu if you drag using the right mouse button? If so does the Copy item in there work?

[quote="leo"]Thanks... That gave me some ideas but none of them turned out to be relevant. :frowning:

If you go to Tools -> Output Window -> FTP #1 (or FTP #2 if the site is set to log to there) does anything appear when you let go of the mouse button? Perhaps it's trying to download/connect but failing for some reason.

Also, do you get a menu if you drag using the right mouse button? If so does the Copy item in there work?[/quote]

Nothing appears in the FTP log dialog. I do get a menu when I drag using the right mouse buttons but the actions are not working. CTRL-C, CTRL-V doesn't work either. The only thing that works if the Copy command from the File Command window and the right click -> download option.

I wouldn't mind installing a debug version of DO to figure this one out as it is bugging the hell out of me.

If you want to go that route you should get in touch with GPSoftware to see what they think or if they have any ideas.

Leo, I tried that istream reg fix, but it didn't work. I'm having drag and drop problems all over the place, at home and at work. At home, on my brand new pc, it's not as bad. What happens is when I start Dopus the first time, I can't drag/drop out of the program. But if I close the lister and then open a new one, it seems to work most of the time.

At work, no matter what I do, I can't drag/drop out of the program. Sometimes, when first starting a lister, I can't even drag/drop things within the lister itself until I close and reopen it.

This is a big headache. I don't know what's happened lately, but the drag/drop has become really bad. Both of these computers are running XP with the latest service packs and updates.

Do you use IVT Corporation's BlueSoleil Bluetooth Software by any chance?

Someone else with drag & drop problems thinks he's narrowed it down to a conflict with a hook they install. Hasn't been fully investigated yet, though.

I have exactly the same problem as superboy - pc boots up and dopus starts automatically - can't use drag and drop at all - no circle with bar, no folder sign, no nothing. If I close and then re-open it works fine. This has been happening for a few months now although not sure at what point it began. Am using latest update. Incidentally I have just installed the Blue Soleil programme but it was happening way before that point.

Alad, have you tried the IStream fix?

OK thanks. I hadnt tried that before as the problem is intermittent and is easily fixed by restarting a lister, so assumed that if the registry was broken it would be a permanent problem. I have tried that now and will only get back to you if it doesn't fix the problem. As it is intermittent I wont know whether it has fixed it but if the problem happens again i will check the actions I have performed prior to it happening.

Oh, in that case it's more likely to be a drag & drop shell extension that is causing the problem.

You can use ShellExView to see which extensions are installed on your machine and try disabling them. Sort by the Type column and focus on the Drag & Drop Handler and Drop Handler extensions.

Remember that there could be more than one causing the problem (esp. if the Blue Soleil extension is still causing problems), so it might be best to disable all of them first and see if that fixes things, then try enabling a few at a time until it stops working again to narrow down which one(s) is/are causing the problem.