Make Folder Tree Less Busy, Similar to XP

I just downloaded D'opus 10. I have been using 9 on an XP computer and also on my laptop which has windows 7.
I love the clean folder tree that I have on XP--which doesn't have all these "libraries," "users" "program files," and other extraneous. It crowds my work space. I just want to see "My Documents" and my "real" folders underneath that. It looks like with "10" there is a way to declutter the tree--and I thought I had gotten it removed but it's back. I would appreciate direction on how to set this up.

Have a look at Preferences / Folder Tree, where you can turn off parts of the tree.

I'm not sure what to turn off. It doesn't look like anything is turned on. For example under "appearance" nothing is checked except "show folder tree header."
(I tried to do a screen clipping but it won't paste here).

For example, if you don't want Libraries shown in the folder tree, turn off Libraries in the "Show in Folder Tree" box:

For some reason I can't get my screen copies to paste into this box (either from word or onenote).

Turn off means to uncheck--correct? (Everything is unchecked.)

I don't have libraries now but I have a whole list of unwanted folders--such as "program files, "users" with the names of the users underneath, downloads, favorites etc. and then half way down (this is under local drive C) is finally "My documents."

To include a screenshot in a post, click "Full Editor" and then use the attachment form below the main post editor.

Turn off means uncheck, yep.

Program Files, etc. are just the folders on C:. The tree is just showing you what is there.

You should see similar folders on Windows XP as well (although with different names; e.g. "Users" on Windows 7 is "Documents and Settings" on Windows XP).

Leo,
this isn't how my XP works which is why I'm writing my post. In XP, I open the file, I see "Desktop, then My documents and all my files.
In windows 7 or in this d'opus 10-I open "d'opus and I see this--(I'm going to try ot attach it.).
It won't allow me to attach. It doesn't like the extension docx.

I see this:
Computer
Local Disk C
C88f2 (etc.)
Intel
Perflogs
PFS6.1HD (etc.)
Program Files
SW SetUp
Users
David
David's stuff
Jason
Melissa
Buddhism Talks
Contacts
Desktop
Etc. . .. until FINALLY--there is "My Documents" which is where my work is--and it is annoying to have all this clutter on my tree and that my work is in lost in the middle of this list.

Why are you trying to attach a .docx file? Just attach the image file itself.

So--there is no way to get all this clutter off of one's folder tree then?
XP can do this-but not the other programs?

Melissa
Jon--Attaching is a secondary problem. . I typed up the image. I don't know what you mean by the "image file"--My picture was in a word document. . .as I sent it there from OneNote. . .

Try turning on Preferences / Folder Tree / Options / Collapse non-selected branches and turning off Preferences / Folder Tree / Options / Expand 'My Computer' when tree opens and see if that improves it for you.

It doesn't but thank you anyway. I give up. :slight_smile:
Melissa

It's because she's pasting her screenshot into Word and then trying to attach that.

@Melissa, Instead of pasting into Word, paste into a folder using Dopus (any folder like C:, just right-click -> paste). This should give you a "Clipboard Image.png" or the like. That file you can then attach to a post by browsing for it.

Don't give up. There are many things that can be done. Just need a screenshot to really get the idea of what yours looks like.

Maybe just root the tree in your Documents. Try this.

Type exactly (without quotes) "/profile" and hit enter. Now you will see the your user name selected in the tree. Shift-Right-Click your user name in the tree and select Root Tree Here.

You can unset this any time with Shift-Right-Click > Reset Tree Root.

Hi Leo,

Sorry to comment here without real facts,
but could this have something to do with DOpus having been installed for all users ?
There does seem to a problem with not finding My Documents easily in the tree.

To be honest, I for one am also confused a bit about what is really the problem in this thread.
Just a thought here, please ignore if already thought about.

Dave

[quote="Scred"]Sorry to comment here without real facts,
but could this have something to do with DOpus having been installed for all users ?[/quote]
No.

The Documents Library replaces it (and contains it, or rather is it by default) these days, which is why both Opus and Windows Explorer put the Libraries branch near the top, and why Opus shows the old user-profile branch lower down, and Explorer doesn't show the user-profile branch at all.

Hi Everyone,
I took a nap and came back. Something fixed itself (sort of) when I turned the computer back on. This is what I discovered so far (and I will try to show a screen image).
When the preferences is set to "desktop" under folder tree options, start folder tree at"--there's less junk in the way. When it's set at computer--there are a bunch of files. (However, this isn't completely consistent and if I can do a screen shot I'll show you.) (I also moved some of the unwanted folders out of the way and deleted some of them)
Thank you KTBcrash for insturctions on how to do screen shots

Mr C--the root tree suggestions sounds interesting. Where do I write "profile though?
Thank you.

That's a big screen shot which cut off some of it when published. The first example is with preferences for desktop (showing less extraneous files) and the second shot is with preferences for computer.

The best you can do is what Leo said/showed.

Make sure Preferences -> Folder Tree -> Appearance -> Libraries is checked ON and it's sub option "Display under the Desktop item" is also checked ON.
Now under Preferences -> Folder Tree -> Options -> Start Folder Tree at: set to "Desktop".

This will make it look more or less like leo's screenshot.

Now if you would like to always have Dopus start in your Documents (My Documents). Make the lister look just the way you want it. With the correct Tree Item opened/selected. Then go to Settings -> Set as Default Lister. Now every time you open Dopus, it will be focused on your My Documents. And there won't be to much clutter in the way to get to your Computer drives.

At least that's how I would do it.

If you already got this looking perfect on your Laptop. You could copy it's config to your desktop to make it the same. Do Settings -> Backup and Restore on your Laptop. Then take that backup file to your desktop. On the Desktop, do a restore using that backup.

To do MrC's suggest. Type "/profile" (No quotes) in the Location/Address bar and hit Enter. In the Tree, Shift + Right-click on your My Documents folder name. Near the top of the context menu item that opens, you'll see "Root Tree Here". This will set the "Desktop" to be "My Documents" or any other folder you right-click on. The problem I see with this is that it's harder to get to your other drives in the Tree. You can still get to other drives with the location/address bar though. Or am I wrong on this? First time I played with it and my testing showed this behavior.

I personally have gone away with the Tree and made my own Tree like shortcuts to my most used folders (CCleaner Inspired). These shortcuts just get me to the roots of my most used folders. Then I would just drill down from there. This would also work with a Tree turned on.

Hope this helps.

The My Documents folder is a virtual folder which appears immediately underneath the desktop. If you configure the tree to start at My Computer, this by design excludes the desktop and other folders underneath it and instead only shows folders underneath My Computer. The virtual My Documents folder is not in this hierarchy and so all Opus can do is show you the physical path to your documents folder which results in the expanded C:\Users\etc... path that you see in your second screenshot.