GP SoftwareTwitter
Opus FAQsManualCommandsObjects

Making a living from DO?

Just curious, searched the forums and couldn’t find any similar question. DO features, customisation, etc is mind-blowing. I know it’s been developed over years but even still, I assume it takes a lot of time. I’m a paid up user and I needed something more than I could find in other file explorer/management apps but there’s no way I will ever use the majority of the features and I can’t learn them as I can’t justify the investment in time, and I’m fine with that. I’ve no idea how large the user base is. The potential population could be huge but many people won’t pay for any number of reasons. I myself only found out about DO a year or so ago.

So....does DO development pay for a decent living? Any insights you could offer would be fascinating: one of the most full featured apps I’ve come across with probably a specific, limited paying audience, and a reasonable price.

Once I read an interview with the founder of Acronis in a site focused in entrepreneurship. The tale of how the company grew was quite interesting.

Maybe someday we will see something similar for GP Software.

My two cents: Directory Opus has been around since the 90s, and possibly before - though I consider "DOpus proper" to start at 4 or 5. I was introduced to it with Magellan (DOpus 5.5) on the Amiga and immediately loved it.

Even in those days many people preferred DOpus 4, as it was more like a traditional file manager of the Midnight Commander mould (though DOpus 4 predates it and indeed MC probably copied DOpus). Many couldn't be bothered to configure DOpus 5, despite its incredible power even then. While I used it for practically everything you can think of, some people just wanted to copy files from one folder to another.

Once I gave up the Amiga, I knew DOpus was available for Windows, but I never gave it much thought until I bought version 11. You see, Amiga Workbench was very limited. Directory Opus gave it features that most people take for granted, basics like pattern select. Windows Explorer, I felt, was "good enough" otherwise, and I had no need for DOpus. Absolute idiocy on my part, in blunt hindsight.

Then two years ago, I had a job where I had to juggle a lot of different projects scattered all over a business intranet and in various numbered folders on a laptop hard drive. It was a nightmare. Then some random nostalgic thought came to me, "I wish I had Directory Opus like I did on the Amiga". So sure enough, I had a look again, and found it was even better than I remembered, and boy did those tabs and USB dongle mode look PERFECT. And indeed they were. I've never looked back. Even at home, I don't think I could ever go back to Explorer.

So yes, while I'd agree with you that DOpus' two real weaknesses are (and always have been) advertising it to people who have no idea what a real file manager can do, and convincing people to do more with a file manager than the basics, it has existed for a long time so it must be getting something right. And long may it continue.

Hi!
Just linking this interview with Jonathan Potter:
http://www.abime.net/interviews/view/interview/id/73
I thought you might be interested in reading it.
Next i want to see Opus Operating System! :slight_smile:

interesting, thanks for the share.
...and I know it’s trivial but I hate the name lister :slight_smile: