Mass renaming within flat view

Hi,

It is possible to do a mass renaming within a find result or flat view?
The problem here is that items to rename are not necessary in the same level and probably ones indise anothers.

But even when they are independent (i.e. no parent folder involved) it is not possible to mass rename them, only one by one ... which is quite hard ... :frowning:

I just tried a mass rename on several files over several levels of folders in flat view, some with duplicate names, some without and it worked fine.

Can you give a specific example that does not work for you?

Regarding renaming from a find result... be sure to specify where the find result is being displayed - i.e. Find Window, Output Window, Lister, etc...

Hi again,

This is what i do and what it happens:

Method 1:

1.1 Choose the folder in question and select "flat view" (with folders)
1.2 Within that I subselect the set of folders I want to rename
1.3 And call for the rename function; there I select to find and replace old name with new name and press "ok".
1.4 And then only the first one of the subselected set is renamed; rename window appears again instantly with same parameters but the first item shows renamed. So, you'll have to do it one by one. :frowning:

Method 2:

2.1 Choose the folder in question and select "search" with the name matching the criteria and outputting into a new lister.
2.2 Within that new lister I reply steps 1.2 to 1.4 with identical result. :frowning:

Now I'm running v 8.1.0.8. I'll update today to 8.2 as soon as I have the chance to read the "what's new", but I think there's nothing new to do with this renaming problem, maybe am I wrong...

Regards

This will only happen if you don't enter a wildcard pattern. If you use a wildcard rename then all selected files (that match the pattern) will be renamed.

[quote="jon"]
This will only happen if you don't enter a wildcard pattern. If you use a wildcard rename then all selected files (that match the pattern) will be renamed.[/quote]

At first glance the preview shows you that all items are going to be renamed and then happens what I wrote, but ....
I just tested the regex wildcard (.*) and it worked!!

So that's the trick!!

Thanks to all for you help! :slight_smile:

Regards