MediaInfo Column Display

Is there any way I can get Data Rate and Bitrate info. to appear in their respective DO columns taken from MediaInfo that I have installed?

Currently, Icaros will not display this information through the script I have installed, but MediaInfo does after right-clicking a video file. I would no longer have to click every video file then to check for this info.separately, as it will all be in one place in my DO lister.

2 Likes

The built-in columns seem to handle it for most file types, except MKV from a quick test. Which formats are you interested in?

As for MediaInfo, I don't know anything about that tool, but if it adds the information to a File Explorer column then the same column can be imported into Opus, like the Icaros ones.

1 Like

It's just for MKV formats, Leo, which I should have previously stated (sorry). I don't know, though, if MediaInfo can add information to a File Explorer column; but, as you say, if it can, then it seems feasible.

1 Like

Being able to display Data Rate for .mkv files would be fantastic!

In case it helps:

Mediainfo is available in a CLI version and as DLL

It can generate output as plain text, HTML, XML, JSON. Output is highly customizable and supply as little or as much info as you want.

Does give you something to work with?

I'll of course be happy to supply additional info if I can.

1 Like

As I'm not competent in coding or programming, I'd like to see someone who is make this happen so I can finally see my data rate and bitrate columns' metadata again for mkv files. A long time ago, from what I recall, everything shown in the screenshot displayed properly, but something changed that along the way that I've never been able to figure out, frustratingly. Maybe a registry fix needed that I'm unaware of?

MediaInfo only extends standard File Properties->Details page but does not add new columns to Explorer as Icaros can do, so using new columns via MediaInfo is not possible.

However, MediaInfo can show very detailed information for a bajillion file formats and all the missing fields have been disturbing me a lot. So I've been developing some custom columns over holiday. I call MediaInfo CLI (a simple exe file) for selected files, parse most important information then store the results in a custom NTFS (ADS) stream, so that they can be reread quicker later but works only on NTFS. Parsing or showing the information is nowhere near as fast as DOpus can show but it can show everything I need, including everything for .mkv, .mka, missing fields from .mp4 files, DTS, Atmos, and all kinds of codecs, as long as MediaInfo can parse it. And if it can't, it usually is because of some old muxers; opening the file with AviDemux & MKVToolnix (both portable) and resaving the file without recompress usually fixes/fills in missing fields so MediaInfo can reparse them properly.

Here's what I've come up so far, yellow marked ones are new columns, to the right are DOpus internal columns:

Note that a lot of missing or falsely shown information, etc. can be shown via MediaInfo and new commands/fields can be added very easily. There are 5 buttons to view/update the data.
2021-01-03_16-59-36

It's not speed-optimized or public-ready yet, but seems to work, at least for my purposes. Would you be interested in alpha/beta testing?

Your work looks very encouraging! I'd certainly be interested in testing it to see if it resolves the issues I've reported. Thank you very much! :smiley:

@DMRoss
Done, see this post.