Metadata not showing for HEIC/HEVC

Using HEIF Image Extensions from MS, HEIC/HEVC shows metadata crorrectly in the properties, but blank in DO, is there anyway to shows the metadata of HEIC and HEVC in DO.
Also, my video can't shows the metadata in DO, not only HEVC, but also mp4, flv, hlv, mov, mkv, rm, rmvb, etc, is there any wrong with my DO?

HEIC and JPG are both recognised as image type and Properties details for both show date taken, as shown in the screen grab, but the datetaken property for HEIC is undefined. Output from the following rename script snippet:

JPG
Meta = image
Taken = Fri Apr 17 10:41:00 UTC+1000 2020

HEIC
Meta = image
Taken = undefined

var Item, Meta, Taken;
	Item = getNewNameData.item;
	Meta = Item.metadata;
	DOpus.output("Meta = "+Meta);
	if (Meta!="image") return;
	Taken = Meta.image.datetaken;
	DOpus.output("Taken = "+Taken);

Metadata is not supported for .heic images as far as I can see. I get metadata in Explorer so it's in the files but I am guessing the library Opus uses for reading/writing metadata is yet to support it.

The best solution for now is to change the settings in the iPhone: Settings / Camera / Formats / Most Compatible.

4K @ 60fps and 1080p @ 240fps video require High Efficiency.

Thanks, that's an option which to be honest I had forgotten about, but for the many HEIC images already uploaded I will have to fall back on created date for now. Reminds me of the old joke... The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!

You could convert them to a standard format I guess.

ExifTool can handle .heic files. You are problably looking for the tag DateTimeOriginal.

To print the tag:

exiftool.exe -DateTimeOriginal {filepath}
pause

To copy it to other date tags (simple version):

exiftool.exe "-CreateDate<DateTimeOriginal" -@ {allfilepath|filem}
pause

To copy it to other date tags (extended version):

exiftool.exe -overwrite_original -verbose -progress: "-CreateDate<DateTimeOriginal" "-ModifyDate<DateTimeOriginal" "-FileCreateDate<DateTimeOriginal" "-FileModifyDate<DateTimeOriginal" -@ {allfilepath|filem}
pause
1 Like

Thanks @lxp. I will look at incorporating a call to ExifTool into my rename macro or once I have got to grips with the syntax I may be able to do what I want with ExifTool's powerful rename capabilities.

Is displaying Metadata for HEIC/HEVC files something planned?

This add-in lets you display the metadata in columns (but not in the metadata pane):

1 Like

I will try. Thank you.

Please add the ability to VIEW the 'Date Taken' for HEIC files, and not need to use the ExifTool Custom Columns Plugin to view Exif dates. With Windows File Explorer (WFE), I can view the 'Date Taken' of HEIC files.