Methods for quickly navigating to directories

Hello everyone,

In the past I have been using Total Commander, where I had several locked tabs in which directories that I use often were opened. This allowed me to quickly navigate (by pressing ctrl+tab) to any of these folders. When I then opened a directory from one of these locked tabs, a new tab would open in which I could then browse. The locked tab remained locked and there for me to return to when I needed it.

It seems locked tabs behave differently under DOpus than they do in TC (link), which makes them not suitable for usage this way. Right now I find myself using the folder tree window to navigate to folders (e.g. by marking them as favorite), but it is not quite as handy and quick as the way I used to do this in TC.

I would like to request users to post here how they access their (most used and other) folders quickly. Any insights and recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you very much.

In which way do you feel they behave differently? As you described it, it sounds exactly the same to me.

Hello Jon,

Well, when a tab is locked, ctrl+w will close it, and ctrl+tab does not cycle through the opened tabs.

Of course, the manual states that it is possible to move through tabs using ctrl + left or right arrow, but then you would have to take your right hand off of your mouse.

Oh ok, I was talking about this part:

When I then opened a directory from one of these locked tabs, a new tab would open in which I could then browse. The locked tab remained locked and there for me to return to when I needed it.

That sounds the same.

You can press Ctrl-Left / Ctrl-Right to cycle through tabs. In Opus locked tabs can be closed although there's a script on the forum somewhere to prevent that I think.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, I agree: locked tabs behave in much the same manner as they do in TC.

I would like to use ctrl + tab to cycle through my opened tabs, the way you can in Firefox and Task Manager. Is there a command (under Commands in the Customize menu) for cycling tabs which I can bind to ctrl + tab? I did find one for opening a new tab, but not one for skipping to the next tab.

The command is go tabselect +1.

You can find this easily by looking at the default Ctrl + Right Arrow hotkey under Customize > Keys:

When setting up a hotkey involving the Tab key, note that you need to use the drop-down arrow on the right of the hotkey field (since pushing the Tab key itself will give focus to the next control). For example, hold Ctrl and select Tab from the drop-down arrow/menu to set the hotkey to Ctrl+Tab.

(Most other hotkeys can be typed directly.)

Thanks Leo and Jon, that worked well for me.

If anybody is wondering: the script for preventing locked tabs to be closed, can be found here: Acecool Proper Tabs - Prevent closing locked tabs - #8 by na4raitda

Look at Leo's post in that thread if you also want to prevent them closing when you press ctrl + w.

Perhaps I might suggest considering making ctrl + tab the default for cycling through tabs (and ctrl + shift + tab for cycling the tabs in the other direction). It seems to be the default way of doing this in Windows applications.

Ctrl+Tab in Windows dates back to the very early days and means "next document within the current window", which naturally translates to tabs in things that have them. But in Opus, there is also a second file display which is like a second "document" within the same window, and that's what Ctrl+Tab has always toggled between by default. (There is also an option to make Tab on its own do that, but maybe some people like to keep Tab so that it cycles through other elements, such as the path and search fields, and not just the file displays.)

Ctrl + Page Up/Down are also standard keys for changing tabs, which I think are defaults in Opus, as well as Chrome etc. Those are IMO much better, as you can move back and forth in both directions much more easily. (Ctrl + Shift + Tab works as well, but that's three keys in a vertical line to push with one hand.)

1 Like

Thanks for explaining, I'm happy that I could change the settings.