Missing file, folder icons in some cases

My apologies for my recent post. It was extremely late here and I was extremely tired. Looking for a needle in a haystack was not something I should have tackled at that late hour.

In any case, I think I have a possible explanation as to why the folder icons for OneDrive (personal – not business) in Dopus looked the way they did (i.e., the folder icons with the “X”s on them). My guess/thought is that the “X”s may imply the lack of availability of the appropriate icon. This was evident when I found the following “solution” article that I used in conjunction with ShellExView.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3079213

Bottom line: Many software companies, especially cloud based ones, are using icon overlays to determine the “status” of their clients synced folders and everyone is trying to position themselves to the top by incorporating their “overlays” ahead of the alphabetical pecking order since:

"Windows supports a finite number of icon overlays. If you have other applications installed that heavily use icon overlays on files and folders, such as Dropbox and Box, those applications take priority in displaying their icon overlays and suppress the icon overlays for OneDrive…"

BTW: I think the initial approach in this thread was rather heavy and more guidance could have been given. I’m sure most of the people that are using Dopus consider themselves quite “techie”, but diving into using a “tool” without a clue with what to really look for…

Thanks and I'm off for my morning's first cup of coffee!

This is a good example of why we ask people to stick to one issue per thread. "I'm experiencing the same or similar issue." when two completely different issues ("missing icons", and "mysterious X's") have been raised is not exactly self-explanatory.

Glad you have it sorted now anyway, and enjoy that coffee!

I've been experiencing missing icons for about a week now with Windows 10 pro 64 and DO 1.15. This makes life a lot harder in using DO efficiently. No problem with icons in File Explorer.

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with Windows 10 updates? Looking through this thread, I can't see any definitive answer hence the post. I am not experiencing any "X"s, just blank folder and file icons.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Same advice as earlier in the thread:

First try Clear Icon Cache, since it's quick to try it and can't hurt.

If that doesn't help, use ShellExView to see which icon-related shell extensions are installed, disable them, reboot and see if things work again. If they do, re-enable a few at a time until the problem comes back. Try anything related to DropBox or cloud storage first, as those are usually the extensions which break icons.

OK, first up, "Clear icon cache" didn't work.

I then ran ShellExView and thought "hell - so many icon handlers and icon overlay handlers!" where do I start. I did as you said and first disabled the 4 Dropbox ones (Overlay icon handlers)

"DropboxEx1 Class"
"DropboxEx2 Class"
"DropboxEx3 Class"
"DropboxEx4 Class"

...rebooted, and it works! Icons are now back in DO. So, one has to ask, what does one lose by this disable?

Tasilee, you might look here: dropbox.com/help/7670

Tasilee and Leo
I used ShellExView and disabled Icon Handler for DOpus and Icon Overlay Handlers for OneDrive Shell Extensions. This fixed it. I now have icons for OneDrive folders.
Is that the end of it? Should I now re-enable them?

11.18 will have a workaround for OneDrive's icon bug, which will mean you can enable those extensions again and should no longer see blank icons from them.

The fix is in the current 11.17.4 beta (link in my signature) if you'd like to try it sooner.

Update: 11.18 is now available