Missing labels when transfering to new computer

i had a very compehensive label system on all of my folders and files but my motherboard and cpu died on my old system. i have the boot drive installed in new system so i have access to all of my files and i reinstalled directory opus to the new system and copied all the files from the programfiles, roaming, and local directory opus folders from the old pc to the new one. all of my settings and layouts and everything seem to be working well enough but all of my labels are gone.
had a similar issue retaining labels even when trying to upgrade harddrives in the past since they dont seem to be attached to the file itself.
is there anyway to recover label information or metadata? keep in mind i cant actually boot the old drive and create a backup or anything like that.

thanks in advance

1 Like

How were the files/folders (which had missing labels) copied from old to new drive? It would need to be something which preserves NTFS ADS metadata to keep all the old labels.

With tools that can copy that metadata (including Opus), it's also often the case that metadata for folders will only be transferred if the folder is created as part of the copy process. Put another way, it won't usually be copied over for folders which already exist.

If you still have the old drive with the labels on it, the BackupMeta (Backup and restore Opus metadata) tool Lxp wrote may let you transfer things, by backing up the metadata from the old drive, then editing the backup so everything points to the new one and restoring that. That should be much quicker than copying all the actual file data again, as it'll only deal with the metadata.

Before doing anything, check that Opus sees the labels on the old drive correctly. If it doesn't, there may be some other things that need doing first with the Opus configuration, which we can go into if needed.

hey thanks for the reply! its the exact same drive that had the labels attached. the only thing i changed was the c drive itself so a whole new operating system with a fresh install of DO. Then i copied the folders i mentioned but no lables show up on the drive. i will look into the link you posted now tho thanks.

edit i did swap the drive a new motherboard with a new cpu since my last one died if that is important. same drives and gpu new everything else

Do the labels/colors you're expecting appear under here?

• Opus 12: Preferences / Favorites and Recent / Labels

• Opus 13: Preferences / Labels / Label Definitions

Was that copy done while Opus was running? (Remember it usually stays running in the background once launched the first time, unless exited or configured not to.) Some config files can only be copied over while Opus isn't running, as it stores them in memory rather than reading them from disk each time. (Some are the opposite; generally depends how often the data is used.)

yes all the labels show up and work when I assign a new label and I had DO closed when transferring settings.
My assumption is the issue was the labels are tied to the actual location of the file and I just checked. all of the labels are still attached to all of the folders according to the assigned labels page, but they all have the original drive letters from the old pc. I'm 100% sure if I change the drive letter back the labels will return.
So I guess the new question should be is there a way to make labels adjust to drive letter change or easily change the drive letter associated with all the labels? since changing the drive letter would make a lot of programs very very confused

If they're stored in the config, not in the filesystem, and the drive letter has changed, the config will need to be updated:

• Paste /dopusdata/ConfigFiles/foldercolors.oxc into the path field and push return to locate the config file.

• File > Exit Directory Opus, to close Opus.

• Load foldercolors.oxc into a text editor and do a search and replace on X:\ -> Y:\ for the given drive letters.

i went in and changed all of the drive letters in the oxc file. i reset DO and confirmed all of the drive letters are changed in the assigned labels section. but none of the folders actually changed. very odd

OK! after all of that i went in and unchecked and rechecked one of the folders in the assigned labels section then clicked apply and all of the folders changed to their labels :upside_down_face:

2 Likes