More OneDrive Woes

Having finally got OneDrive to work in Dopus through endless experiments with my configuaration, I still habe a problem.

I store mainly PDF files on One Drive and have a couple of tabs in a tab group that tell me that the format for the tabs comes from "Default For OneDrive" and "Content PDFs", which I would expect.

To explain the problem in detail:

I ask Adobe Acrobat Reader to open a OneDrive PDF that is NOT locally stored on my PC. After it has opened I that close the file and tell OneDrive to clear the PDF from PC and onto OneDrive in The Cloud.

This produces t he following:

1. Windows Explorer

Works perfectly. File downloaded and opened in Acrobat Reader. File stored. After issuing Clear Space command the status icon changes to a cloud.

1. Opus

All fine until I issue "Clear Space" command. Usually the Status Icon remains stuck at the two circular arrows indicating that the command is ongoing (I assume), more unusually the Status Icon remains stuck at the at the green tick indicating that the file is still on my machine.

Even after waiting five minutes the icons to not change. Changing to a different tab and back again makes to difference to the status icons.

However, if I reload the whole tab group and look, the Status Icons have been updated.

A small supplementary question: Sometimes while I was trying fix OneDrive and was checking the origin of a tab format i would see:

Tab No 8 openlisters

I have no Tab Group called openlisters. Is this some kind of system thing?

This probably all comes back to the same cause as in your previous thread. And my guess is it has something to do with Windows Search indexing of PDF files, as there are a lot of threads about that causing problems with OneDrive.

You may be right, Leo, but I have turned off the indexing of PDF files in the Microsoft indexing service, so they should not be indexed at all.

And what I can't get away from is that this works perfectly in Explorer. And why should reloading a tab group fix the no display of OneDrive icons?

Can you give me any info on
Tab No8 openlisters?

From what you described in the othet thread, it didn't sound like it was always working in Explorer either.

Threads on the net show the same issue can also happen in Explorer, at least. Maybe one program triggers it more easily on some machines than others.

There's also inherently a race condition here, since we may see the file has changed and needs its metadata recalculating, and see that it's still online, but then OneDrive moves it offline in the split second between checking that and opening the file. I'm not sure that is avoidable, beyond changes we've made to reduce when we recalculate metadata and the window between checking the offline state and opening the file. If you have labels or columns that require opening the file then there is always a small chance they'll cause a problem here, if turned on for the folder, and displaying the folder, when files are moved offline.

You are right it was not always working in Explorer. But I re-installed Windows 1803 and all the updates to convert Windows 10 to 1809 and since then Explorer has been working perfectly with OneDrive.

The tabs I am using only have the fields Name Status Size Modified and Attributes.

I believe this is an entirely different problem more to do with the tab Window not updating properly.

I can also reproduce a similar situation not related to OneDrive. When I first open a tab group I cannot remove the format lock. Well, that is not quite true, I cannot see that I have removed t he format lock until I reload the tab group.

Something, somewhere is not being triggered properly.

If the only problem is that the status icons don't update, then pressing F5 to refresh the folder should fix it.

Yes I can do that, but what I am trying to get across is that this seems to be part of a deeper malaise on my setup. I know it is my setup and I am responsible for sorting it out. I now seem to have consistent behaviors between OneDrive and Opus, largely my rebuilding tab groups.

If I can make a point about the OneDrive status Icons: I thought they were not refreshing, but on careful observation, they are - they are just refreshing to the wrong icons.

Let me give an example:

Files all stored only on OneDrive.

Ask Opus to open a PDF in Acrobat Reader No problem. File Downloaded and icon changes to tick to show it is available locally.

Now ask Opus to Clear Space and return the file to the cloud. It does but the icon re-displays but it is still the tick - indicating that is is available locally.

Press F5 and the icon changes to a Cloud.

Something wrong there, surely.

I get the same problem with the format lock on the status bar when I load a tab group.

If I click on the Status Bar padlock nothing happens. So I resort to unlocking the format from the menu. Status bar padlock still shows closed. I have to reload the tab group to show that the format lock is off.

This may have been happening for a long time, but I have only noticed it by doing so much work on my config to fix OneDrive.

Any ideas where I should look to sort this out?

OneDrive and the Status Bar padlock have nothing to do with each other as far as I can see. I'm not sure why you're bringing them both into the same thread one day after saying everything was fine with OneDrive. Maybe just let it sit for a few days before using it again and see how it goes?