Mouse gestures

Mouse gesture for Up and Down in folders. Like in Operas (web browser) back and forward gestures.

Sorry for my bad english.

This has been suggested several times before (as a search of the forums would have revealed).

Try [Tip: Adding mouse gestures to Directory Opus!) for some tips on how to achieve this now.

I agree that a native one would be more stable than and extern one ...

Anyway, i'm sure that vista will provide it in windows core :confused:

Are the external solutions unstable? I've never tried them (not interested in mouse gestures personally) but everyone who has seems to be happy with them, or at least not complaining.

In fact i have no idea:)

I'm just 'cold' about adding another few process and possible conflicts.
I'm using opus to get the most simple, light and usefull system, ... not in my plan to assemble another tweaked instable frankenstein OS.

But if no one complain maybe that's because mouse gesture rule : in MyIE the right click+ move on the left to going back take about 1/3 sec wherever the mouse is ... we will never have computer like Tom Cruise use in movie if nobody care about real innovation :slight_smile:
I remember first time i've tried .. thought it was a gadget, but when you're in use .. difficult and not think about.

Anyway ... it was just an opinion, keep on improving your wonderopus.

external programs are not instable. it's interesting in fact to have an external program for mouse gesture to AVOID conflicts : if you use mouse gesture in DO, you'll sure want to use it in other programs. that's why it's better to use one program for all mouse gestures. i'm using maxthon , for instance, which, as firefox, as own mouse gestures . that's a great possiblility of conflicts, and that's what i'm using mouse gestures in maxthon with strokeit, as i do for DO ?

What about the simple, hold down right mosue button then click the left one, for backwards and then holder left press right once for go forward? These are the only mouse gestures I really use and I'm either missing something or this isn't posible with strokeit? I don't feel the need to move my hands at all when going backwards and forwards... any chance this could be added of there's a decent external program to do it?

Thanks,
Greg

It's 2006 - buy a mouse with a decent number of buttons - these needs are easily taken care of...

I've verified we only are in 2006. you're right on that point.

So you don't need a mouse gesture program ? what a modern (2006) user you must be.

But you can't do the same things, asolutely not, with a mouse like that.
Maybe are you not doing the same things i do ?

Which mouse gesture program are you familiar with ?

You shoul'd say you can't only IMAGINE what can be done with a mouse gesture program, and probably that's because you don't need it don't you ?

What if you are not using a mouse? :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm using a tablet, do I have to find some amazing tablet with a mouse that has more than 3 buttons? I can tell you now I've not seen one, and if some are availble you can be sure they'll be even more expensive then normal tablets.

Sure when using DOpus and most programs I only need a normal mouse, but some of the work I do requires a tablet. Anyway, I don't really think t's realistic to buy n extra mouse purely for that reason, sure I would find other uses, but still.

Thanks for the suggestion but I had considered the alternatives and concluded that for me at lewast the ability to do this would be so much easier.

If you're using a tablet isn't it as easy as anything else to click on the Parent button on the toolbar? Or is it about clicking buttons on the stylus without moving it from the place you're about to click? I've never used a tablet or getures so curious to know how they work/what the pros/cons are.

It's a very personal question, about what a computer is for you, and how you use it.
The first thing with mouse gestures is : what is it for ?

You just can't use mouse gestures for everything because you can't use too many mouse gestures or you will have problems with too similar mouse moves

you first have to define the general needs at the computer level.
The things you use in all or most programs, like control+c ,control+x control+v ,empty recycle bin ,refresh ,next window
next page, delete , seletct all , top of the page ...

And you can specify additional special moves for the program, or programs you use.
For instance, my browser is Maxthon. like DOpus it uses tabs. So i choosed the same gestures in the two programs for: delete this tab, go nex tab, go previous tab, go up ,and so on according to your
choice.

When you have these general movements in mind, you just dont have to look at anything on your computer. you just do the move and ... the thing happen.
You even don't have to
look or to think of the move you are doing, just like when you're writing with a pen.
you think of what you wan't and ... it happens.

(i know it's french but you should see what i mean)

Thanks. :slight_smile: I guess that makes sense. It's probably liked tabbed web browsing which I never thought was an important idea/feature, until I started using it (after switching from IE to Firefox for the extensions rather than the tabs), but now I couldn't imagine browsing the web without it.

Does anyone know if StrokeIt allows to configure the sort of mouse button actions that Grogs asked about? Holding down RMB, click-n-release LMB (and vice versa)? I absolutely despise laptop mouse controls, and I have both the touchpad AND the cursor button-ball in the middle of the dang keyboard. The precision settings are horrible... so if there's a way I can use the buttons to perform commonly used navigation like forward/back which Opera defaults these mouse/button gestures to do so I'm already used to it) it'll solve some of my aggravation.

@Tanis:
I know, I know... "go buy a USB travel mouse" :wink:.

On a laptop woudn't it be just as easy to either press backspace or, if that's too far away from the mouse pad/nipple, bind a key to something like alt-b that is near your hands?

no steje you can't do that . you can emulate left right middle mouse button(s), but only with mouse moves and it makes no difference for you

Ok it's true that a main mouse'gest controller is probably better than one per windows/app. May be i'll try StrokeIt solution one of thoses days...

Have you heard about this feature in next Vista ? A main controller straight in the OS should be the best way, even if....

But for sure, you try, you're getting use, you're addicted !

It's like chinese way to count with one hand .. why have we got to count to five with 5 fingers ? Do we code 64 value with 64 bits ? .. so why do we use 2 axes and 3 clicks on a mobile device. Ok my english is too bad and i'm getting far away :slight_smile:

Anyway MG rules ( or could ).

[quote="steje"]Does anyone know if StrokeIt allows to configure the sort of mouse button actions that Grogs asked about? Holding down RMB, click-n-release LMB (and vice versa)? I absolutely despise laptop mouse controls, and I have both the touchpad AND the cursor button-ball in the middle of the dang keyboard. The precision settings are horrible... so if there's a way I can use the buttons to perform commonly used navigation like forward/back which Opera defaults these mouse/button gestures to do so I'm already used to it) it'll solve some of my aggravation.
[/quote]

PowerPro has a number of mouse button-only controls which can certainly help. Any action (including basic back/forward/up/down) can be assigned to any/all of the following actions (I've left in the relevant controls for multi-button mice for completeness, but you'll see those applicable to 2-button devices. And some, such as left double-click, are only suitable for limited circumstances!) :-

left double click
middle double click
right double click

left hold (for a second)
middle hold (for a second)
right hold (for a second)
mouse 4 hold (for a second)
mouse 5 hold (for a second)

wheel forward/back (quickly)
wheel back/forward (quickly)
wheel forward only (just one notch)
wheel back only (just one notch)

Simultaneously ("chord") left+middle
Simultaneously ("chord") left+right
Simultaneously ("chord") middle+right

"Simultaneously" doesn't require accurate timing: in practice it just means you don't release the first button until you've also pressed second one.

They can be made to act globally, or globally-with-exceptions, or per-application.

There isn't quite Greg's RMB-then-LMB to go back, and LMB-then-RMB to go forward, but Hold RMB to go back, and LMB+RMB to go forward, say, is pretty close.

It also has many other mouse-related controls once you include keyboard modifiers, cursor locations, and (basic) mouse gestures (left button drag left/right/up/down; wiggle horizontally or vertically). Plus loads of keyboard hotkeys. And hotkeys/macros is just the start ...

iMilly.com/tools.htm#powerpro
powerpro.webeddie.com/

Freeware. Stable. Essential :wink:

Milly

to avoid conflicts when i maintain the right mouse button pressed, i use autohotkey. you can for instance press & maintain the left mouse button, and have a first fonction with one right click, another with 2 right clicks, and a third one with 3 right clicks. or attribute whatever you want to double right click for instance. and many more. since i use strokeit a lot, i found autohitkey, with his very powerful script possibilities, the perfect complement. i used powerpro a lot before, and it sure is a very powerful program, but not usable with any mouse gesture programs. it depends on what you're looking for.