Move overwritten files

Hi, my apologies if this is a really stupid question, I'm a newbie but I can't access the newbies group as yahoo is blocked from my work.

My problem is: I've got a whole load (about 100,000) files in various folders that I want to move into one big folder. Some of the files have the same filename, and in this case I want the most recent file to go into the folder, with the older file(s) going into a backup folder rather than just getting deleted. I feel this should be possible in dopus but I can't see anything in the manual that would do it. Many thanks for any help you can give.

Dom

This would be really easy if you didn't care which file you ended up with, or if you wanted to simply auto-rename any name conflicts so that you end up with all of the files.

If you want just the latest file with each name it's still possible, though, with some lateral thinking. Here's how:

1. Create an empty directory.

2. Copy all of the source directories into the empty directory as subdirectories.

3. Switch on Flat Mode (Mixed, No Folders) so you see all the source files.

4. Sort by modified time so that the latest files are at the top.

(You could pretty easily create a button which combines steps 3 & 4 if you are going to do this a lot.)

1. Select all the files and move them to the destination.

2. You'll be asked if you want to Recreate the source folder structure or flatten it into the Same Folder. Select Same Folder.

(If you like you can specify that Same Folder should always be used, without prompting, in Preferences but chances are you'll sometimes want the other option.)

1. When the first duplicate file name is encountered you'll get a dialog asking what you want to do. Select Skip All.

(You can make a Copy WHENEXISTS=skip button which means you don't get prompted, if you want.)

When in Flat Mode Opus appears to move/copy files in the order they appear in the lister so the result will be that the earliest version of each file will have been moved to the destination while the other versions will be left where they were.

If you want all the other versions flattened into a single directory as well then you can use the Auto-Rename option when you're prompted about duplicate filenames. Opus will then rename each file so it is unique.

Since you'll be viewing thousands of files at once you'll probably want to turn off the Description column and any others which cause file contents to be inspected, else things could get quite a lot slower.

Thanks very much, I'll give that a go. Is there any way in dopus to automatically move overwritten files to another folder? This seems a very useful feature, but I can't find a way to do it in the docs. Overwritten files aren't currently moved to the Recycle Bin.

Right now overwritten files are lost (overwritten :slight_smile:) but it's been suggested that there should be the option to rename them instead. (You can already rename the new file, but not the old one instead.) Once renamed it would be easy to move them to another place using a wildcard.

I don't know when/if that suggestion will be implemented, though.

OK, thanks. This is a great tool, by the way.