Move To and Copy To context menus

This should be really simple (I'm really astonished this isn't there by default) but what I really need is a plain right click context menu like Acdsee has for:

MOVE TO

%

COPY TO

How would I do that?

I've used ACDSee but it was about 10-15 years ago so I'm not familiar with its menus. Can you explain more fully what you want?

Copy/move what to where?

Do you want to select some files, then right-click a folder to copy/move those files into that folder?

Or do you want to select some files, then right-click the files, and have Opus ask where you want to copy/move them to?

Or something else?

(FWIW: The Opus image viewer already has Copy To and Move To options in its context menu, which ask you where you want to copy/move to. You can also drag & drop the viewer window icon to a folder. Within the main file display windows, if you select files and click Copy Files or Move Files without a destination window then you'll be prompted for a destination. If there is a destination window then the files will be copied/moved to there without prompting, but you can modify the command so it always prompts you if that's what you want.)

This:

[quote]
Or do you want to select some files, then right-click the files, and have Opus ask where you want to copy/move them to?[/quote]

But also from the THUMBNAIL view not just the Viewer.

Acdsee lets you select one or more files (as thumbnails) and RIGHT CLICK-> MOVE TO (or COPY TO)-- then it prompts you for a folder (it also remembers a list of previous places which is a bonus)

While on the subject of the Viewer - it would be GREAT if EDIT or OPEN WITH was available from the right click menu of that (I know it's there in THUMBNAIL mode).

The commands you want are:

Copy TO=ask

Copy MOVE TO=ask

Awesome. Thanks a lot

One small glitch - when I select multiple files and use my new MOVE TO context menu (all going to a single folder all at once) it moves the first file fine...but then it tries to move EACH file (again) in succession (even though it already moved them with the first file)...this causes Dopus to throw an "unknown error" for each file selected after the first. I can say "skip all" and close the dialog. The files are all moved. Are there more parameters I need to add to stop this from happening?

It doesn't do that here. Make sure the command is literally just Copy MOVE TO=ask and nothing else. In particular, it should not mention {filepath$} or anything like that.

Also make sure the "Function" drop-down is set to "Standard Function (Opus or external)". If it isn't, delete the context menu item and create a new one, setting the Type drop-down to "Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer)".

[quote="leo"]It doesn't do that here. Make sure the command is literally just Copy MOVE TO=ask and nothing else. In particular, it should not mention {filepath$} or anything like that.

Also make sure the "Function" drop-down is set to "Standard Function (Opus or external)". If it isn't, delete the context menu item and create a new one, setting the Type drop-down to "Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer)".[/quote]

That's EXACTLY what I have...just triple checked.

hmmmm

When I get home from work later I'll have to do some screen shots and post them.

Here is a screen shot showing the command info:

This shows 3 test files selected and the context menu item being clicked:

Here is the destination folder selection thingie coming up:

After that I click it and it goes..moving all files correctly however here is what happens immediately AFTER the moves:

You can see in the background of the above error the files have been MOVED.

Don't create a user command, put the command directly on the context menu.

How do I do that?

How did you add the existing "Move To" context menu item?

Presumably, after creating the User-Defined command shown in your first screenshot, you went to Settings -> File Types -> All Files and Folders -> Context Menu and added a new menu item which runs your User-Defined command?

Change that menu item so it runs the actual command directly (Copy MOVE TO=ask) instead of via your User-Defined command (which you can delete).

(Maybe there's another way to add commands to the context menu that I've forgotten about. If so let me know and I'll explain what to do.)

I'm sorry I just don't understand. I tried doing it from Customize->Context Menu-> then highlighting Lister COntext-->Show Menu--> Right Click--> New Button (and New Menu) and neither seemed to add it to the right click context menu. It would show it in the editor pop menu but not in the program.

???????

I'm sorry I love Dopus but this is about as intuitive and clear as mud.

:cry:

Well, you must have added that "Move To" item shown in your 2nd screenshot somehow.

The place I described is the only place I can think of where you could have done it.

Did you try looking in the place I described?

(I did not say to look in Settings -> Customize -> Context Menu... I said Settings -> File Types -> All Files and Folders -> Context Menu...)

(It's also possible you added it to some other type and not the All Files and Folders one, but only you can remember that; I can only guess. Whichever type you modified, you want to be starting from the File Types window, not the Customize window.)

Damn.

It's amazing what one can do when one follows ALL the directions!

That worked!

I'm most pleased!

Thanks Leo (especially for being patient)!

:smiley:

Cool, glad we got there in the end!