Multi line tabs

Dear guys

Is it possible to set the tabs to use multiple lines instead of the >> scroller at the end of the line ? I.e. to have 2 or 3 lines of tabs.

Thanks

1 Like

No. You can have a scroller or a pop-up menu but not multiple lines.

If you have that many tabs, maybe using favourites or toolbar buttons to go to those folders would work better.

Maybe in the next version? :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like

Multi-line tabs are seen as a usability nightmare so probably not, at least based on GPSoftware's response when it has come up in the past.

What are you doing that has so many tabs open at once? :slight_smile: Maybe there's a better way.

Just so used to that in Firefox ... it just scrolls to the next line ... suppose you can set the size really small to fit more. Programmatic its hardly a challenge. Thanks anyways.

Firefox doesn't have multi-line tabs either, does it?

(Opus and Firefox seem to do pretty much the same thing to me, except that Firefox has scrolling and a pop-up overflow menu while Opus has scrolling or an overflow menu depending on Preferences.)

If you want Opus to scroll larger amounts at a time, that might be worth asking GPSoftware for.

When you say multi-line tabs, this is what I think of (original):

Multi Tabs in Firefox comes with Tab Mix Plus plugin.

Dopus takes 5 tabs and fills up ...

You can fit more tabs by adjusting the maximum tab size in Preferences.

You can make it scroll (instead of the pop-up menu your arrow points to) by changing Preferences, too, if that's any use.

Using a smaller font size might help too.

Or just get a REALLY large monitor.

The font you're using is very wide (compare it to the address bar above the tabs) so I think it was a fair point. :slight_smile:

Regardless of that, adjusting maximum tab size will truncate the tab names so you can fit more on screen (which is similar to what Firefox does, though not quite the same since FF is designed for page titles which are typically always long and truncated while Opus is designed for folder names which usually aren't).

I think, multiple tab rows are annoying, since they are changing the positions all the time, like in "TweakUI". My solution is, to simply
not use too many tabs or closing some.

Hi guys

Its nice to hear all the personal feelings and opinions about this. Erm... why not just the programmer to add an option for this? You would want as may options as possible in the software?

This is a user-to-user discussion forum. What did you expect to get other than other users' opinions? :slight_smile:

If you want to request a feature you should write to GPSoftware support.

There's a balance to be struck, as with all things. Sometimes less is more.

Total Commander has MultilineTabs Function. This is an essential feature.

Total Commander is hardly a bastion of good user-interface design :slight_smile:

Essential for some perhaps, certainly not all. I hardly ever use tabs at all so my idea of an 'essential' feature will be radically different to yours. As Leo said, if you want a feature send a request through the official channels.