Multiple monitor window spanning

I finally have 2 monitors running now and Opus always seems to open across both when I view pictures or when I maximize any lister.

I want it to only open on one monitor per lister and per image viewer, how can this be done?

I thought I remember seeing this discussed before but the search on these forums doesn't seem to work properly and the advanced search page is all messed up.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help.

Oh and BTW: I'm running NVIDIA with its window manager on which properly makes all other programs only maximize to one monitor at a time, it doesn't seem to work with DOPUS though. I have even tried custom application settings, but dopus ignores it all somehow.

please help... It is really annoying to have listers and images broken between the monitors.

Thanks
Mike

No, this is not an Opus issue but the NVIDEA Multiple-Desktop settings. I can't remember which setting but all our multiple monitor systems work fine:)

Greg's right and somewhere in the depths of your Display Properties control panel (probably below the Settings, Advanced button) you'll find an option which tells the graphics drivers whether to present both monitors to Windows as a single, huge monitor, or whether to tell Windows that there are actually two separate monitors.

If the drivers are configured correctly then on the Settings tab of Display Properties you should see a box for each monitor:

Thanks guys, but I was sure this was an NVIDIA issue as well, but every other app I load maximizes perfectly on one monitor only. I can hit the maximize button, or double click the title bar and it fits to one monitor perfectly.

Opus does not do this for its listers or for the picture viewer which is the most annoying since every picture gets split across the monitors?

I have tried to set custom application settings as well for dopus but something still is not working. Does anyone here run opus with two monitors on an NVIDIA card and have this working properly? It must be somethign else I'm missing in the settings if that is the case but I can't seem to find it and it is odd that opus is the only program with this problem for me?

I can confirm that I've used Opus on a multi-monitor NVIDIA system and it works fine, provided you configure the graphics drivers not to lie to Windows about how many monitors you have. You may also find the proper configuration improves the way other programs with explicit multi-monitor support work, not just Opus.

I believe that Opus handles its own window maximizing whereas other applications tend to allow Windows to do it (although a few others are like Opus as well).

The NVIDIA (and Matrox) drivers, when configured to pretend you've got one big monitor instead of two, hook the normal maximize code so that things maximize onto only one monitor.

Since Opus is doing its own window placement those driver hooks are not invoked. Opus instead asks the OS about what monitors you have and positions its maximized windows accordingly. You won't see any difference, unless the drivers are configured to lie about how many monitors there are.

Note that the driver hooks aren't needed (and I think are always disabled) when the drivers are set to properly inform Windows of your monitors. This means you will not start to see other applications maximize over both screens or anything horrible like that. Everything will work as it should.

The driver hooks and other hacks for moving and sizing windows with multiple monitors are all left-overs from the bad old days of Windows 95 and NT 4. Back then the OS didn't understand multiple monitors and multi-head graphics cards/drivers had no choice but to pretend there was only one monitor. The graphics card makers were left to solve the problem of dialogs opening between screens and so on and the resultant hacks were a god send back then but these days the operating system does everything properly out-of-the-box (provided the graphics drivers don't tell fibs!) and the hooks and hacks are not needed and are counter productive. They stop newer, multi-monitor-aware programs from working properly, they often go wrong, and they stop you being able to fully use XP's multi-monitor support which allows independent screen resolution and bit-depth for each monitor, as well as their relative positions (i.e. where monitor 2 is physically relative to monitor 1).

(The only time you may want to pretend you have one big monitor is if you've got a huge, seemless multi-screen setup for an exhibition or similar, but in that case you would also not want the window move/size hacks enabled since you really would want it to appear as one big monitor.)

In summary: Turn it off! :smiley:

Sweet guys, thanks a lot for all the help. I was using the NVIDIA desktop placement and configuration directly and not the windows on like what you guys obviously meant for having two monitors. (I didn't realize what you meant until I found that setting)

And you were right, NVIDIA showed two screens and the proper spread resolution as a wide desktop but windows didn't know any better. Now I've set the windows to know their are two monitors and every app works perfectly even with the NVIDIA desktop manager turned off which I prefer since it jsut eats more precious resources.

Again thanks for the great info and help!!!

Mike

Glad to help!

Out of interest, did the drivers configure themselves that way by default or was it an option you turned on manually?

If the drivers default to lying to Windows I shall fire off an email to NVidia. :slight_smile: