My Documents folder problem

I've created a folder tabs group containing folders under the My Documents folder. When reloading the folder tabs group and clicking on the folder tabs, the folder tree goes to C:\Documents and Settings....My Documents...

I'd prefer that the folder tree went to My Documents... (which is kinda like an alias). How should I tell dopus to do this?

The reason I prefer this is because it's easier to navigate the folder tree. Otherwise it branches out too much.

Agreed, this has frustrated me for a while but I've never gotten around to mentioning it. I think this might be a feature request - but one that I would greatly welcome. I already deal quite often with folders buried under the 'My Documents' virtual folder tree item... and depending on the type of operation I am doing, I wind up with the same sort of messy folder tree expansion you're talking about - TWICE. It can be a navigation nightmare...

Excatly. Most software nowdays save your files into the My Documents folder, and it's a convenient place to have them. I actually had to get rid of the folder tree simply because it got too combersome to work with... Windows explorer was 'smarter' in this case. If I had to go back to Windows explorer, it would be because of this.

Well - ONE - of these days I was hoping to write a configurable namespace extension so I could create my own 'My Documents' virtual folder in the folder tree... I happen to be very sad that so many applications pollute microsofts 'My Documents' folder... although out of all the complaints about Adobe Reader 7 it seems like they're no longer shoving the eBooks folder down our throats :slight_smile:... I'd also like to have 'My Music' and 'My Videos' at the same level in the tree as 'Documents'.

Anyhow, I sure would be happy to see Opus handle the 'My Documents' vfolder better.

First of all, I explicitly like how DOpus handles "My Documents".

Those who dislike the buried nature of this folder could consider moving it to a top level, eg., "D:\My Documents", or , in Multiuser environments D:\My Documents-John", etc..

Moving and renaming should work per drag and drop and the F2 key.

Greetz.

First, welcome to the forums Gromax :slight_smile:!

Second, where the My Documents folder "starts" is not the biggest problem. Personally, I already have this vfolder mapped to the root of drive D:. The problem is when you have deeply buried foler structures "inside" the My Dcouments folder tree... If you're already navigating those folders through the virtual folder (or want to), there are cases where doing things in Opus will then expand that same folder structure through the physical path as well. Not good... because then the folder tree is twice as long as it needs to be.

If there are ppl out there like you that actually like Opus current ignoring of the virtual folder, then I say Opus should still fix it to work correctly with the Virtual folder for the 'other' ppl (like me and newboy :slight_smile:), and the rest can then disable it in Preferences->Folders->Virtual Folders->Treat the following folders as real. This seems the most logical way of handling things...

Doesn't Explorer behave in exactly the same way?

Appreciated, nudel.

However the initial poster referred to a shortcut to "My Documents" placed on a toolbar. This will then not open at the virtual location directly under the desktop icon, but drill itself all the the way to the real directory.

• Desktop
    • My Computer
      • C:\
        • Documents an Settings
          • %userprofile%
            • My Documents

As I said I am very happy with this, as I in general think very little of "virtual folders". I even maintain a seperate Control Panel - folder which contains direct shortcuts to .cpl and .msc (Management Console) files.

The initial poster is apparently of a different opinion, as he is probably unaware of the pre-Windows 95 era.

The underlying issue is that "My Docs" exists in two ways: for one as a virtual folder on top of the system hierarchy and as a real entity in the user profile directory.

Thus, in DOpus Preferences / Folders / Viortual folders he would probably want to see something like "Treat My Documents as a virtual folder", or treat it automatically as virtual, subject to inclusion in the exclusion list.

As this may be for many an established and expected usage habit there would be some merit in considering such an option.

Greetz,
Gromax.

What's the actual definition of the toolbar button in question?

If it is set to Go C:\Documents and Settings<user name>\My Documents then Opus is only doing what you tell it to do by expanding the tree to show that folder.

If you want to always go to the "virtual" My Docs folder, change the toolbar function to Go /mydocuments

Hmmm... in trying to work out exactly what I've seen that's been bothersome to me, I'm seeing some strange behaviour:

I guess what's been happening is that I've been updating my 'old layout' with new folder tabs that open to folders located under 'My Documents'... great. Some of these new folder tabs have been getting saved with the physical path info rather than the virtual. Currently, my old layout has 2 tabs that correctly open to folders underneath the virtual 'My Documents' folder tree path... one that I recently added opens to the physical path.

If I click on that tab right now, and switch it to the virtual path and immediately resave the layout, when I launch it again it opens correctly. But since I don't want that tab to be the default 'active' tab when the layout launches, I switch back to my original active tab (actually the root of the My Documents folder) but now it's pointing to the physical path?

It seems like I could chase these tabs around all day and not discover any particular 'pattern' to which tabs get shifted over to the physical path after they had already been saved using the virtual path... However it seems like if I rebuild my tabs as a brand new layout, as long as I open each new tab, set it to the virtual path and do NOT click back on any existing tabs before saving the layout, everything works. But if click back on say just the first tab I had opened to make it the 'active' tab when the layout launches, then things get screwed up...

So maybe someone can verify what I've seen...

• Open a new lister with the 'My Documents' virtual folder as the only tab
  • Save the Lister as a new layout called "Test"
  • Close the lister and launch a new instance of the "Test" layout... it should open to the vfolder ok
  • Double-click the folder tab bar to create a new tab, goto the 'My Documents' virtual folder and create a new dir 'Dir1', enter 'Dir1' so that is the current folder for this new tab
  • Double-click the folder tab bar to create another new tab, goto the 'My Documents' virtual folder and create a new dir 'Dir2', enter 'Dir2' so that is the current folder for this new tab
  • Re-save the Lister as layout "Test"
  • Close the lister again and launch a new instance of the "Test" layout... it should open to the vfolder paths for all tabs ok, click on all of them to make sure... then leave the 'first' tab opened to 'My Documents' as the 'active' tab and re-save the Lister as layout "Test"
  • If you close the Lister and launch a new instance of the "Test" layout this time, the paths should now have been set as the physical paths :frowning:.

[quote="steje"]So maybe someone can verify what I've seen...

• Open a new lister with the 'My Documents' virtual folder as the only tab
  • Save the Lister as a new layout called "Test"
  • Close the lister and launch a new instance of the "Test" layout... it should open to the vfolder ok

YES, IT DOES.

• Double-click the folder tab bar to create a new tab, goto the 'My Documents' virtual folder and create a new dir 'Dir1', enter 'Dir1' so that is the current folder for this new tab
  • Double-click the folder tab bar to create another new tab, goto the 'My Documents' virtual folder and create a new dir 'Dir2', enter 'Dir2' so that is the current folder for this new tab
  • Re-save the Lister as layout "Test"
  • Close the lister again and launch a new instance of the "Test" layout... it should open to the vfolder paths for all tabs ok,

NOT IT DOESN'T. THE FOLDER TREE GOES TO THE PHYSICAL PATH!

click on all of them to make sure... then leave the 'first' tab opened to 'My Documents' as the 'active' tab and re-save the Lister as layout "Test"

• If you close the Lister and launch a new instance of the "Test" layout this time, the paths should now have been set as the physical paths :frowning:.[/quote]

I've tested out your instructions and indicated above with >> what happened to me.

You're right, changing the active folder tab, then saving the lister and reloading the lister, causes the folder tree mysteriously to go to the physical folder...WHICH IT SHOULD NOT DO!!

:imp: Dopus folks... fix this bug IMMEDIATELY.

Turn the tree off - problem solved.

If you think that's the way to get a response from GPSoftware who happen to frequent our forums and provide support here (when they are under no obligation to do so) then you are sadly mistaken.

If this 'show stopper' bug of yours is so critical - have you reported it through the official channels?

Is this the way you're supposed to solve problems, jon? Close your eyes?

Hey, folks... I'm just mightly pissed off, that's all. I find it unbelievable that it's not possible to create decent software without glaring monsterbugs like these... even after 8+ upgrades!

Well you could always write your own file manager.

I can't see how it's a "monsterbug" that the tree shows one location rather than another when both the locations represent the same place. Yeah, it'd be nice to have this improved in the goodness of time but it's hardly going to cause data loss or worth any of us getting upset over, is it?

Edit: I moved/tidied up/expanded the rest of my reply into a FAQ entry since I've said some of this before and don't want to write it all again:

resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php?p=6041

To be fair, five of them were on the Amiga which neither had trees nor My Documents. :slight_smile:

Yikes... for my part, I believe I described this effect as 'bothersome' and certainly didn't intend for it to snowball this way :open_mouth:. Anyhow, I've found that you can get around it simply by not 'clicking' on any of the previous tabs you've opened... While it still left me with the rightmost tab being the 'active' one which I didn't want, I just opened another tab to the root of 'My Documents' and relocated it to the far left - making it both the first and active tab, then resaved my layout... all is well on reload of the layout.

While the workaround is mildly irritating, I personally don't change my layouts all that often so I'm not too bothered. I'll submit an official bug report and kindly ask for it to be fixed someday... Though maybe I'll wait a few days since Jon seems to be on a 'turn the folder tree off' kick today :slight_smile: LOL.

@newboy:
I've found that these forums are nowhere near as sensitive as many others forums I've particpated on (Opera, J River) but even so I'd save the "monsterbug" label and "fix it NOW" demands for more significant issues buddy :slight_smile:.

Sort of reminds me of a customer I worked with once who was flipping out because of some incorrectly spelled messaging in the program which was written by a chinese co-worker of mine who didn't have full command of the english language. The client tore me a new a-hole over the phone telling me what crap the product was because of this lack of attention to detail (it was otherwise working just fine you see). The user demanded the issue be left at a 'severity 1/system down' incident... so an hour or so later my "fix" was to replace the faulty message with a wonderfully spelled replacement message that went something like "Server recovery in progress... if any incorrectly spelled messages are displayed, please abort the recovery of this critical system and contact ". Well I thought it was funny...

@Jon:
Well... I still consider it decent software Jon :slight_smile:.

Steje, you're absolutely wonderful, it WORKS!! :smiley: I had to completely redo all my folder tabs, though... hope I only need to do this once.

Sorry... I didn't expect this kind of reaction after my previous post. I'll tone down the language in the future.

It shouldn't be necessary to have to do it again... unless of course you make a change to a layout or tab group after clicking around in a way that causes the problem :slight_smile:. Do you know about the Settings->Import and Export... feature? It's the best friend of new and old Opus users alike... but especially as you're learning the app, if you change something and wind up not liking the results, it's a snap to get back to 'working order' using this settings export feature. I've got about a dozen sets of exported settings from all the various things I try, with one of them always being my 'primary' config.