Name column missing from search results

When I use quick search, the search bar in the top right, the results don't include the file name. If I right click to select the columns, the Name column is greyed out.

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Could you post a screenshot of that?

Also, none of the results are clickable, so it's really useless at the moment.

It looks like you're right-clicking the Name column, it's just very narrow.

Is there anything in it if you make it wider?

It's strange, I can see the name column while the search is going, when the search is over the name column becomes narrow and I cannot resize it. The mouse pointer change to two parallel black bars instead of one bold bar, so I can only resize all the other columns.

When the column is narrow like that, right-click again and select More... (at the bottom of the menu in your screenshot).

What are the Width and Max settings of the Filename column there (if anything)?

Ok thanks, that must be the problem. I have it set to collapse, if I change it to Auto I am able to see the name. However I like it set to collapse to avoid long names occupying all the screen.

If you set Name to Collapse, you'll probably also want to set columns like Type, which can be quite wide, to Expand, so they go off the side instead of forcing the Name column to shrink too much.

This video explains in more detail: Tutorial video: Column resizing & folder formats

1 Like

Thanks much, that solves the issue. But in that tutorial I can't find how to save the coulmn layout for the search results. It seems my search result folder doesn't match the default layout I saved in the folder options.

You can configure that from Settings / Preferences / Folder Formats / Folder Type Formats / Search Results.

1 Like

finally fixed! thanks!