Navigating to parent in nested archives

Hi,

when navigating through nested (ZIP) archives in Opus, I end up in a temporary "dtemp-*.dop" directory when leaving the nested archive again. Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a ZIP file.
  2. Create another ZIP that contains the first ZIP file.
  3. Press enter on the ZIP file from 2. to navigate through it (via Opus' VFS plugin).
  4. Press enter again on the contained ZIP archive to navigate through the nested archive.
  5. Press backspace to go one level up, back to the "outer" ZIP archive.
  6. Press backspace again to go one more level up. This makes me end up in my "Temp" directory with the "dtemp-*.dop" directory selected. However, I'd expect this to go back to the directory containing the "outer" ZIP file.

Is this something that could be fixed?

We have no plans to change that. Nested archives work because if you double click something in an archive it is extracted to temp and then opened. That also explains what you see.

You're explaining the technical details why it was the easiest to implement it the way it is. However, I believe Opus' goal is to provide a good user experience, taking out rough edges like this. So please regard this as an official feature request from a paying customer to fix this.

If you change your backspace key to run Go BACK then it will probably do what you want.

Support for nested archives was never really part of our design; it is more something that happens to work. (We've done a couple of things over the years to avoid breaking it, since breaking things that work isn't good, but that's the extent of it.)

(Exceptions: Formats like .tar.gz, which are slightly different, are something we intentionally and explicitly support and treat as a single archives.)

Anything that creates nested archives in the first place is being a bit odd. They do happen (e.g. typically when backing up folders with zips in), but if you run into them so often that you care about the temp-folder issue, it might be worth looking into the process that is creating them.

If the aim is to get better compression (storing into the inner archive without compression, then compressing it as a whole), using 7z or RAR in solid mode can give the same result without nesting and with more efficient access to the folder listings and sometimes the data as well.

Anything that creates nested archives in the first place is being a bit odd.

Not at all. Games, skinning packages, and other software that utilize on the fly decompression of assets often employ this type of strategy.

[...] it might be worth looking into the process that is creating them.

I'm not the one creating these nested archives, I just have to deal with them. I also doubt the goal is to get better compression. I guess most of the time people just zip directory structures without even knowing it already contains other zips.

If you change your backspace key to run Go BACK then it will probably do what you want.

That does not work when navigating the hierarchy e.g. down, down, up. "Go Back" would take me to where I was before, i.e. the second "down", whereas backspace would take me one level more "up".