Navlock in Styles

Hi Leo, hi everyone else,

On a previous thread started by GazChap, I digressed from the original question and we ended up discussing some ways to implement Navlock for a multi-tab situation.

Now I would like to try out one idea you suggested, and I want to to make sure I understand it.

Is it possible to set up a Style with a dual lister in such a way that two tabs will be navlocked by default when you switch to the style?
...or...
Would I need to set up a button that would switch to the style, and contain code to Navlock the two folders?

Wishing you all a beautiful day.

That's what these do:

Seriously? Wow, it's that easy? That's awesome!

Okay, so that is all set. Thank you.

My next question has to do with tabs.
My default lister has a lot of tabs. When I switch to the Pix Style we just defined, since I have specified tabs for the left and right displays of the style, more tabs open. (In fact, one of these tabs is a duplicate of a tab of the default lister). That's too many tabs (most of them are unrelated to pictures).

I'm wondering how to deal with this.
Do you think it would it make sense to make a button that first closes all tabs, then switches to the Pix style?
If so, would you please tell me the command to close all tabs? (I am guessing some flavor or Go TABCLOSE) ?

Still learning heaps---need to read the section of the manual about macros.

Edit the Style and click the Tabs button. There's a Close existing Folder Tabs checkbox.

I was looking for that... I am blind!

Wow, fantastic. So easy. And fast too. :slight_smile:
Thank you, Leo.

Can I ask you a side question?
You said before that it is more efficient to do this with a style than with a layout. I now have both, and I see that the style works great and fast.
I can't quite wrap my head around the difference.
Is there more processing involved when switching to a different layout?
When I click the button that brings up my default layout (My Lister), sometimes it is very fast, but sometimes there is a two-second hang, as though something heavy is launching.
This is making me wonder if I should maybe save my default layout as a style instead.
But I am confused now about the difference.

If I said something like that, I can't remember the context I said it in. In the thread linked in the first post I didn't mention layouts at all as far as I can tell.

Depends how you use it.

Closing a whole window and opening a new window in its place might use slightly more time, but (unless your system is very low on memory and hitting the pagefile a lot) only really if there's something in your toolbars which is causing some kind of delay when they are re-created. If there is something like that in your toolbars then you'd want to track down what it is and fix it, either way. (e.g. You might have drive-buttons on the top-level of your toolbar, and a HDD that has spun-down and causes a delay while it is spun-up or something. It's best to keep those drives in a menu so they aren't being accessed unnecessarily.)

Thanks for explaining.
No, can't think of anything like that in my toolbars.
This delay is also happening on my new build with 16GB ram, running idle.

I'll send you a screenshot of the interface one of these days, still working on it. Then it may jump at you.

Wishing you a fun evening, are you under snow in London?
Here first day of Summer tomorrow.

There wasn't any snow a few hours ago when I went to get cat food. Maybe in a couple of weeks though, judging by the last couple of years.

Hey, I hope you're comfortable and have a great time over the holidays.

Two strange behaviors I am noticing in this style.

1. For the right file display, I have checked the "View Mode" box and chosen Thumbnails.
    But when I click the button for the style or select it from the pull-down, it's the luck of the draw whether the right display will show up in Thumbnails mode or in Details mode (the default for all listers). Mostly, no luck. This is the only code in the button:
    Prefs STYLE=Images

2. When the style is selected, all tabs close, and new tabs open. On the left, two tabs. On the right, one tab.
    The problem is that on the left, when you launch the tab, with the same "luck of the draw", the selected tab has the correct name, but the contents of the second left-side tab. (A side-effect is that this throws a Navlock error message.)

I have reverted from 10.0.2.3 to 10.0.2.0, and the behavior persists.

If your style has tabs then the folder format for each tab overrides the format for the style as a whole.

Thanks, Leo!
For the record, this is how it was:

Based on your message, I removed the tabs on each side, and instead specified the "Folder" checkbox on each side.
That works great!

This gives me a great way to see my pictures if they are all in one folder. It's faster than switching to a layout.
On the other hand, the layout lets me have multiple tabs, with the specified display modes.
So many options!

Leo, I'm sorry to report that now it's the Navlock that's behaving erratically.
(The displays open properly, details on the left, thumbs on the right.)

We start in the same folders (no tabs). Click on a sub-folder on the left. If I'm lucky, the right side follows. If unlucky, "Out of Sync" message.
That style is driving me all around town. :confused:
What could be happening?

Bumping this because after I thought it was solved, another problem cropped up. (See the message just above.)
Since I posted twice in a row (now three times), the message would have gone under the radar.
Merry 21st of December everyone.

I think I've fixed the problem with NavLock going out-of-sync as soon as you switch Styles.

Please try with 10.0.3.2-beta once we release it, and let me know if any problems remain.

Leo, that's fantastic, thanks for your message. I've been meaning to write to you to congratulate you on the new beta and on your video---but I wanted to install and watch first. I've had a bulldozer here terracing the back of our steep section and have spent more time with my fingers in the dirt than on the keyboard. Hope all is well with you, talk to you soon. :slight_smile: