Need 'Rename New' Option when Extracting Archives

I was extracting several archives to a Destination folder ('Extract to' option).
I got this pop-up:
image.
Why are the options 'Rename New' and 'Rename new (All) missing? I never replace my clients' files just because they have the same filename. They could be edited versions of photos, or photos with different added metadata.
Will you add those options?

Will you please add those options?

It is on the list but we’re getting the new version ready for release and unlikely to add many new features (unless quick and small) before then. Especially during the Christmas and New Year period.

3 Likes

I hope you can get to this soon!

1 Like

Is there any update to this thread? This is a pretty major issue for photo management, which many of us rely on Directory Opus to do well. I always rely on keeping and renaming for just the reason MegMac describes above. I anxiously await an update! Please and THANK YOU! DOpus is a major part of my workflow and a critical part at that! So, again, thank you for your attention!

This is a very important function for me as I often work with dozens of archives and need to be able to unpack them all. Is there any timeline when an update might happen?

1 Like

7-zip and WinRAR both offer to rename files when naming conflicts arise. If you want an Opus solution, extract the archive into a temp folder on the destination drive, then move the temp folder to its final destination.

This can now be achieved in Opus by switching from the internal Zip engine to the one provided by the 7zip plugin.

If you download the 13.3.5 beta and follow the instructions given in the changes notes, all options including 'Rename New' should be available.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that won't work for me.
One of my favorite Opus features is that it can preserve/recreate folder structure.
I just did a test, and cannot use 7Zip to extract multiple Zips in different folders and keep the folder structure/folder names.

That works as normal as far as I know. Make sure you're actually using Opus and not 7zip itself if you also have it installed.

I installed 7Zip, then in Opus, I selected archives, then accessed 7zip in the context menu. I tried a few 7zip options.

It doesn't involve 7Zip itself.

We have a plugin based on the 7z.dll library which works inside of Opus. It already handled all the non-zip archive types. Now it can handle zip as well, if you follow the instructions Jon linked to.

Most things should work the same as before, including extracting multiple archives to separate folders.

Success! Sorry I missed Jon's instructions earlier.

1 Like