Network copy/move speeds?

I just upgraded to a Gigabit network and noticed that the copy/move speeds hardly increased at all. I get around 6-9mB/sec moving files from one machine to the other. Both machines have gigbit network interfaces and I have a gigbit switch with CAT 6 cables.

It seems to me that I should be getting faster transfer speeds. I know it is not the hard drives limiting the speed as each hard drive is capable of high speed R/W access. In fact I'm only pushing about 20% of their speed.

I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I'm getting such lousy speeds.

Thanks.

Hi Rex, just as a matter of personal curiousity... are you thinking in some way that Dopus has anything at all to do with this? Have you stop watched how long it took Windows Explorer to copy the data before and after your network upgrade?

[quote]
Rex wrote:
I just upgraded to a Gigabit network and noticed that the copy/move speeds hardly increased at all. I get around 6-9mB/sec moving files from one machine to the other. Both machines have gigbit network interfaces and I have a gigbit switch with CAT 6 cables.

It seems to me that I should be getting faster transfer speeds. I know it is not the hard drives limiting the speed as each hard drive is capable of high speed R/W access. In fact I'm only pushing about 20% of their speed.

I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I'm getting such lousy speeds.

Thanks.[/quote]

Hi Rex !

I've built a system with gigabit ethernet using an Abit IC7-G mainboard.
Unfortunately, I have little knowlege of gigabit ethernet with home networking, nor is that PC in my possession.

I'd suggest that you write a hardware based computer magazine such as the San Francisco
suburb of Brisbane based Maximum PC.

Write doctor@maximumpc.com, the Maximum PC Doctor's Column,
with a concise description of the problem and include all relevent hardware info.

Luck Rex !
                                 :opusicon: Porcupine

Hi Rex,

I do have an afterthought on this.
It's really probably not the correct answer, but you might want to check it out.

Is there an option in your BIOS to enable PCI bussmastering?

If there is, enable it !
In my experience this speeds things up quite a bit in DOS when restoring a backup for instance.

However, I don't think it's really the answer with your problem.

Luck Rex,
:opusicon: Porcupine