New Folder added to the mouse left click

New Folder added to the mouse left click

Want to see New Folder added to the mouse left click. It should also have the choice of going to the new folder as soon as it is created.

I know it can be done other ways but some of the other programs that I use allow me to select a folder, left click and select Add New Folder.

I have always found that method to be more intuitive then having to move to an icon to click it then move back to the new folder

Can this be added to a future version of Opus?

Thanks;
Doc.

I don't understand. What do you want to left-click to create a folder? Maybe a screenshot would help if this is something other programs do.

See attached JPEGS from two programs (FastStone Image Viewer and ACDSee image viewer)

Doc

More

More

More

Thats all;
Doc

Oh, you mean right-click not left-click? (Or your mouse buttons are swapped to normal.)

That's easy to add:

[ul][li]Open Settings -> File Types[/li]
[li]Double-click the All folders type at the top[/li]
[li]Select the Context Menu tab and click New...[/li]
[li]Change the Type drop-down to Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer)[/li]
[li]Enter CreateFolder as the command (or select it from the Commands drop-down to save typing)[/li]
[li]Set whatever name and icon you want.[/li][/ul]

Yes; my mistake, RIGHT click.

Ah; the power of Opus

Leo, you are a genius.

That worked beautifully.

Any chance that RIGHT click New Folder can be added to a future version of Opus? I find it to be very handy and it allows me to eliminate one more icon from the menu line.

Thanks so much.
Doc

I just told you how to add it to the current version of Opus. The steps I outlined will create an entry in the right-click Context Menu for folders.

I think you misread my post.

I said

[quote]Ah; the power of Opus

Leo, you are a genius.

That worked beautifully.[/quote]

What I was asking was for it to be added for future users or even for myself should I lose my backups and have to re-install Opus.

Having it already there would save me or future new users from having to figure this all out.

Doc

Problem is there are about a million commands which could be added to the default configuration so it's difficult to draw the line in a way which best pleases everyone... There are definitely some common and useful things that should be added though, and I keep meaning to make a list of them and submit it to GPSoftware (and/or make a "stuff you might want to add" tutorial/list), but there's always something else to do...

You’re a busy man, Leo.

Thanks;
Doc

Maybe it would make sense to post a list of How To of common things that people have asked for and How To Do It on your copy of Opus.

The list could start with things like you taught me in this post fo0r adding the right click New Folder. That was MST helpful indeed.

Thanks;
Doc

I think that's part of the intent of this forum in general. This is a forum of Opus users helping other Opus users, several (including me once in awhile) have taken the time to write such jewels of information to post here. And the more of us who can contribute the better this forum will become. :smiley:

Sounds good to me, John.

Doc

[quote="DocLotus"]Maybe it would make sense to post a list of How To of common things that people have asked for and How To Do It on your copy of Opus.

The list could start with things like you taught me in this post fo0r adding the right click New Folder. That was MST helpful indeed.[/quote]

Specifically... such a 'specialized' area of the forum already exists in the oft overlooked FAQs - Please Read First section of the forum, where various "HOW TO:" topics are posted...

Hi Steje;

I did, THREE TIMES (so far).

The FAQ's are GREAT. I especially like the way they are laid out; it makes things relatively easy to find but you would be surprised how I totally missed an item yesterday that was staring me in the face.

I have learned a lot from the FAQ’s but Opus is just so vast that reading the FAQ’s is like treading water, you can do it for awhile but sooner or later you need a life preserver or you sink. That life preserver is this Forum and all you great people out there.

As I gain experience with Opus, I hope to eventually help others as others have helped me.

I am retired and have the time to spend to really learn this program.

I am a long time power user going back to the early days of PC’s (1981) and have used many file managers over the years from DOS to various versions of Windows and I am VERY excited about Opus and want to learn it all. :unamused:

Doc

I know... :wink: I read your posts in another topic about reading the FAQ's... and commented over there that the FAQ's are still mainly useful as a point of reference for those who already know their content and can point 'other' users to specific faq's and how to's etc etc rather than 'type' the answers into each topic that appears every other week about the same subjects :wink:.