Newest file in folder

Hello all.

I have just started using Opus and am unfamiliar with the product. Let me describe my situation.. I have a main folder(X) with 1,791 direct subfolders(Y). Within those subfolders I have 6,217 folders containing 53,115 files. My goal is to get a breakdown of the newest file within each Y folder, regardless of which subfolder it is contained in. This is so that I can see what Y folders have not had any new files placed in them (or modified) since a certain date (in years). I only care about the newest file creation or modification date.

Is there a way to easily do this? My hope is that I can simply display each Y folder with a date next to it, which would be the date of the newest file creation or modification within that folder.

Thank you for your help and time.

Sounds like you can achieve that by using the flat view, combined with a filter, that shows all files newer than x days/hours.

If anyone could go into a little more detail that would be great. I'm trying abr's suggestion but am pretty lost in the application.

While Flat View could help, if there are a lot of files in the folders then you would have to scroll through a lot of information to see the bits you wanted.

We'll have a better way to do this in the next beta. We've written an example Script Column that calculates the newest file below each folder (either directly below, or recursively). The script depends on some new features we've added for the next beta. (You can do something similar in the current beta as well, but it wouldn't work as well.)

This is what the result will look like:

Leo,
would you be so kind and point me to this script if it exists already?

Thanks,
Michael

You are probably looking for this one:

Or may be not... you were already active in it some time ago.

Yes, funny, I was indeed! Thanks!

However, I got no answer so far and honestly fater browsing the forum, I just felt to start again upon this topic with a scripted column and assigning a label or colorize one of those columns.

Michael

There's no hidden way to do "within" filtering with scripted date columns at the moment.

You'd need to modify the script so it reports the age in days in the column, then filter against that.