No confirmation before deleting files

I have a problem with Dopus 8 on my laptop. Whenever I delete a file or directory, I do not get any requester to confirm the deletion. This does not happen on my regular PC. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

The laptop and PC both run XP Pro.

Robert

Tried these options?

Yes, these options I am familiar with. These are set to ask for confirmation before deletion, but are ignored. So that's why I ask :slight_smile:
These settings are only ignored at my laptop (not at my PC), which is kinda strange :confused: Could it be a windows thingy??

Hmm, not sure there is a Windows setting that would have an effect. (Maybe there is and I've forgotten it.)

It's worth checking whether your delete button is doing the usual thing. Hold down Alt and click the delete button on your toolbar. Mine runs this command:

Delete SHIFT FROMFOCUS

With preferences set as in the screenshot above, I get a delete confirmation message, unless I hold shift down.

Are you deleting files/folders on the laptop or on a network drive?

I am deleting files and folders on the laptop. Drive C and D

Hi Nudel,

strange.. when I press and hold the shift key when deleting files, I do get the confirmation requester.
I looks like the delete function works in an inverted way :astonished:

Any suggestions for additional parameters to play with?

Spliney, there's some references in the Opus help relating the behaviour of various Opus Delete function switches to whether or not you've got the recycle bin enabled or disabled... have you changed any Recycle Bin properoties - if not, can you still double check them? Also, if you go to Help->Keyboard Map... on the Opus menu, what functions do you see assigned to the 'Delete' key?

Hi Steje,
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:
I see only the 'delete' function assigned. No extra parameters. And as far as I know, I have not changed the properties for my recycle bin, which I have in use.

Well nuts... that's awfully strange. Just curious, but but how does the delete key work in Windows Exploder? The same or do you get a confirmation dialog?

Note- strangely enough, my Preferences do NOT have either of the "ask for confirmation" settings enabled but I do indeed get the confirmation dialogs...

Also, that you hold the SHIFT key down while pressing delete should normally just cause the files to NOT go to the recycle bin... is that happening? Empty your bin, shift delete some file, is it now in the bin?

strange indeed, and it's getting worse! I plugged in a USB memory stick, deleted a few files and guess what?? I needed to confirm deletion first.. I am sooo puzzled :confused:

To answer your 2 questions, Steje, in de Windoze Exploder, pressing delete does not ask for confirmation.
Pressing Shift + Delete, asks for confirmation and the files do not end up in the bin.

So, now what?? :unamused: :unamused:

Check your Recycle Bin Properties. It sounds like you have turned off the Display delete confirmation dialog option.

Note that these properties come from the system, not Opus - right-click on the recycle bin and choose Properties to get at them.

The fact that you don't get the confirmation in Windows Exploder sure makes this a 'system setting' issue and not a Dopus one... so ditto on what Jon told you to check :slight_smile:.

[quote]
jon wrote:
Check your Recycle Bin Properties. It sounds like you have turned off the Display delete confirmation dialog option.

Note that these properties come from the system, not Opus - right-click on the recycle bin and choose Properties to get at them.[/quote]

YES! that's it! Jon saved the day! :smiley:
Like I suspected, it's a windows thingy but I could not find it until now. Time to close this thread :wink: