Offline files in opus, not in explorer?

I have a bunch of grey "X" overlays over some icons that only appear in directory opus. It seems to be the icon used by windows for offline files, yet I never used that feature.

It's interesting to note that using explorer.exe, the overlay icon does not appear. It's specific to directory opus.

I haven't found the way to get rid of them in a clean way, however:

1. Changing the "Shared" status in advanced share (in the file/folder's properties) will remove the overlay icon until the view is refreshed.
  2. Copying the file/folder will create a copy without the overlay. Then I can delete the original one and it fixes it.

Any clue what's up with that?

Here's an example screenshot: i.technet.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC182212.gif

The only similar icon overlay Opus should show differently to Explorer is for shared files, which Explorer no longer shows on Windows 7 and above. Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: win7_show_sharing_overlays controls that and lets you turn it off in Opus as well.

If it is not that then there are a three possibilities I can think of:

[ul][li]It could be coming from a shell extension which is doing different things in Explorer and Opus. Opus generally just asks Windows for the icon and overlay to display, then displays that. Windows in turn asks shell extensions as well as its built-in code to get the icons.

[/li]
[li]Clearing the icon cache may make Opus and Explorer the same again.

[/li]
[li]Windows has a limit of 16 overlay icons in total, per process. The slots are reserved on a first come, first served basis, which usually means the order you view different types of files/folders will decide which overlay icons "win" and work, and which lose and cannot be shown. Since it is per-process, you can see different things in different programs. If you open Notepad and use File > Open to look at that folder, you might see the icons in there as well (depending on which folders you look at on the way to there). Similarly, you may see different results if you reboot and open folders in a different order.[/li][/ul]