"Open external folders in a new tab" not working correctly

The "Open external folders in a new tab" option is checked, however, only folder paths entered in the Start->Run dialog produce a new tab.
Folder open commands from external programs always spawn a new lister instead.

Loading the default DOpus config (plus setting the appropriate tab option) or reinstalling didn't help.

Thanks for your support!

It could be that the programs you're using are doing something wrong since when they launch folders they should do exactly what Start->Run does:

resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... =open+verb

No, the problem is, DOpus actually opens NEW LISTERS instead of NEW TABS, when external programs launch folders.
But: Start->Run shows folders in new tabs. (Okay, I have just found out this seems to be not entirely true. Having just randomly opened ~40 folders via Start->Run, about 90% opened in a new tab, 10% in a new lister. I couldn't notice a specific pattern of what determines in which way the folders are opened.)

If you point regedit at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell, what's the (Default) set to and which actions are defined below the shell key?

The default should be openindopus and the three actions should be explore, open, openindopus. Is it the same for you?

Unfortunately, I have the same problem - new listers do pop up from some applications.

I think a better solution would be to control it from Dopus itself... i.e. if one lister is started, do not open another one, unless it started specifically from Dopus.

Yes.

That's precisely how it should be.

Many thanks again for your caring responsiveness, Nudel!

Is there a good (reliable/quick) way to reproduce the problem?

If you to go a command prompt and run

Start C:\

lots of times does it eventually open a new window, or does the problem only happen when other programs launch folders? Which other programs?

It does it only for certain external programs, that is why it is hard to pinpoint...

I am not sure if "open containing folder" is a system command or not, but both VistaGlance and Locate32 open the folder in a new lister (and as I have those on my other monitor, the lister is started there, which I find pretty annoying as well...).

[quote="nudel"]If you to go a command prompt and run

Start C:\

lots of times does it eventually open a new window, or does the problem only happen when other programs launch folders?[/quote]
I have just run another test launching 10 arbitrary folders this way. They all opened in new tabs.

All of them, without exceptions. Lately and prominently: Foobar, utorrent, Free Download Manager.

Do those programs always open a new window?

Are the some programs which only sometimes open a new folder but open a new tab at other times?

I'm on WinXP, by the way.

[quote="nudel"]Do those programs always open a new window?

Are the some programs which only sometimes open a new folder but open a new tab at other times?[/quote]

same problem here - I'm using "OneNote" from MSOffice 2007 to open a file:// link and this opens a new lister, rather than a new tab. "C:" from "Run" opens in a new tab just fine.

Cheers

This will be fixed in the next update.

I'm still having problems with this in 9.0.0.7. :frowning:

I use the command "Explore Contents" in Sandboxie and it opens a new Lister despite having "Open external folders in a new tab" checked.

Could it be an issue specific to Sandboxie? I don't know how Sandboxie launches Opus but if it's launching Opus in some kind of sandbox or as another user or whatever then it would explain it.

From their forums it seems that the program does launch things in a non-standard way:

sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=267

Perhaps it can be worked around in Opus but I expect GPSoft would need the people who make Sandboxie to explain exactly how Opus is being launched by their program.

Thanks for the prompt response Nudel.

Yes, I did wonder about that possibility given the functionality that Sandboxie is trying to provide, but Sandboxie does give you a visual indicator when it launches an app within a 'sandbox' (a [#] in the title pane of the window) and this doesn't appear to be the case when using "Explore Contents" (it also states that it has "no processes sandboxed at this time").

I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether posters earlier in this thread notice an improvement with 9.0.0.7.

If you want it fixed, ask the Sandboxie people to provide details of how they launch the folder. I think that's the only way we'll get to the bottom of it.

Good thinking Nudel. I've logged a post on the Sandboxie forums.

The Sandboxie devs have responded. The "Explore Contents" command does this:

ShellExecute(hwndofSandboxieControl, L"open", PathToSandboxFolder, NULL, PathToSandboxFolder, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

Does that shed any light on why we get a new lister instead of a new tab?

The L"open" should be NULL (ie, they should not be specifying an action, but instead should be asking for the default action)